Repeat After Me

Favorite quotations, etc.
Dragline

Repeat After Me

Post by Dragline »

"You do not want a typical job. You do not want typical credit card debt. You do not want typical health. You do not want to retire at the typical age. You do not want typical results. You do not want a typical level of fulfillment. Nobody does. Stop pretending."

Stolen from: http://www.raptitude.com/2013/01/you-do ... e-typical/

Ego

Re: Repeat After Me

Post by Ego »

That was good. I especially enjoyed the comment about Delaware crabs.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Never get stuck in a crab bucket. They are everywhere:

search.php?keywords=%22crab+bucket%22&t ... mit=Search

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Yeah, love the careerists--I mean, crabs in the bucket metaphor. Great article, too.

UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

You do not want a typical job. You do not want typical credit card debt. You do not want typical health. You do not want to retire at the typical age. You do not want typical results. You do not want a typical level of fulfillment. Nobody does. Stop pretending.
Typical health for me would be a considerable improvement, so I'd take that deal. If you're saying that we all want to be postive outliers without accepting any downside risk or paying a premium to achieve it, then hell sure, who wouldn't want that? And while we're wishing I'd like a hovercar.

FI Fighter

Post by FI Fighter »

Great read! Blaze your own path and let the chips fall wherever... No regrets, anyway.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

@UrbanHermit- I don't think it is wishing. Most of those are typical due to a lack of effort. "Being healthy is too much work." "Early retirement or FI is impossible for me because of X" etc. etc.

All it takes is a little effort and a change in attitude/mindset to avoid being one of the crabs stuck in the bucket.