Who are your heroes?

Favorite quotations, etc.
theanimal

Who are your heroes?

Post by theanimal »

Who are your heroes? And if you care to share, why?

Here's a list of mine (in no order), along with some short descriptions.

Jesus- Exemplified and taught the ways to practice and live as a "good" human being
Dick Proenneke- Self sufficient, anti-materialistic and a conservationist who lived with the wilderness. Not against it.
John Muir- Same as above but lived among the mountains and trees with almost nothing but his clothes on his back.
Daniel Suelo-Anti-consumerism, seeks truth and lives his values with strong opposition from others
Last but not least, Thoreau- Simplify, Simplify, Simplify.

Nomini

Re: Who are your heroes?

Post by Nomini »

I'm a little cautious about the word hero, but the first example of an exceptional human which comes to my mind is Ranulph Fiennes.

Adaptable - displayed both in his army career and later his adventuring
Risk taking - the story of why he was discharged from the SAS is entertaining and worth looking up

champ0608

Post by champ0608 »

I have a few heroes, but lately, they've been everyday people I meet or know who are living the simple, sustainable life to its fullest.

For example, last year I took a trip to Italy. I stayed a few days in Maniago, and while I was there I met a gentleman named Filli. Maniago has a traditional, cottage industry thing going on, with switchblade knives. Throughout the town are several different workshops where craftsmen work on certain parts for these traditional knives. Filli made the handles. His little workshop was in the back of his tiny house, and he loved his work. He'd spend a few hours each day working on different custom handles, crafting them out of exotic woods. He's the ideal image of European style sustainable living. Small house, no car, rides a bike everywhere, loves his cappuccinos, is in great shape, doesn't have much but is as happy as can be. His lovely wife tends to a large garden and sells the vegetables to the local market. Friendly, lovely people, who don't want or need anything more than the little they have.

I have lots of examples, like the local artist who lives in a converted bus, or the young couple that lives behind me and make their living as dance instructors, or one of my bowling team mates who works part time on bicycles, and lives to compete in big tournaments.

All these people are living fantastic, happy, fulfilled lives, despite the fact that none of them own cars, or big houses, or make lots of money. They are all healthy, fit, happy, educated, well dressed, clean, friendly people. They don't need much, and love what they have...especially their spouses. These people are all very sensual with their partner.

They're the model I'm striving to base my life off and I'm getting closer and closer.

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

There are so many - the trick is to think about one of them each day and imagine how you can be a little bit more like them, but off the top of my head here are three:

Victor Hugo - read his preface to Les Miserables;
Mikahil Bulgakin - for his courage to write The Master & Margarita in 1930's Stalinist Russia;
Maimonides - for being a massive plyglot and not wasting a moment's time