Money is power. Never forget that.

Favorite quotations, etc.
ToFI

Re: Money is power. Never forget that.

Postby ToFI » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:56 pm

The biggest power money has: to buy us self reliance.
Money can also buy some happiness. Many people hates the job they have. The day they hate most is Monday. If they have money, they'll have the choice to choose a happier job or shall I say work regardless of the pay.

akratic

Postby akratic » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 am

Consider the body builder: he notices that he looks better with more muscle and less fat. As he continues down this path he looks better and better, until some day without realizing it, he starts to look worse and worse to others, eventually becoming grotesquely muscular, no longer attractive at all.

It's the same with the anorexic. In the beginning losing weight helped their appearance, but they couldn't tell when they had passed the point where the relationship changed.

"Money is power" is the same. In the beginning, YES, money gives power. But after a point, this stops, and the relationship reverses.

If you have direct access to people with lots and lots of money, study them. In my experience there's a point where they become calcified, overly concerned with protecting what they have, dependent on luxuries and material comforts, totally unable to relate to people that don't have a bunch of money, and eventually even starting to believe that they are better than all the people who don't have a bunch of money...

I think the point where money stops giving power is fairly easy to overshoot, but rarely discussed. I guess it is on the other side of FI, so there's no huge reason to be concerned about it now.

But to think that money always gives power is the same as the body builder always striving to add muscle, or the anorexic always striving to lose weight. Money is power, but only up to a certain point.

steveo73

Postby steveo73 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Interesting thread. I'm really not a fan of the word power because to me it comes across as trying to control someone or something. I may just be talking semantics but that attitude is something that I have an aversion to.

In saying that I think money is important but having more isn't really important. I think you need a certain amount of money that is relative to your expenses but after that I think other things are much more important. Good friends and family and your health for instance are some things that to me are just as important as money.

Felix wrote:I always see it as buying yourself out of slavery.

I completely get this point. I view myself now as really in a state of slavery. I have a pretty decent job but I need that job. It will take me a while to get out of this situation.

jennypenny wrote:There is also an undercurrent of control in this discussion that makes me uneasy. I guess I subscribe to one of Tolle's arguments that control is an illusion that can make us unhappy. I don't think money gives us as much control over our lives as some here think it does.

This is to me an important point. Money helps some things but it doesn't help everything.

jacob wrote:Aren't you guys simply discussing the difference between freedom-from and freedom-to?

I'm not sure but I think that there is a chance of turning freedom-to into one expensive lifestyle which would leave me working for years just to afford my next holiday or fancy car.

James_0011

Postby James_0011 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks, this is just what I needed to see. I almost took this route (poor academic), and really glad I found this site first.

James_0011

Postby James_0011 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:17 am

jennypenny wrote:
Spartan_Warrior wrote:
Ego wrote:Not being under the power of other people is not the same as being free.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. To me, not being under the power of other people is exactly what freedom is. Can you clarify?

I won't answer for Ego, but I think once you take the red pill, you're free. The rest is just arranging your life to match your idea of what freedom should look like.

What do you mean by the red pill? serious question

wood

Postby wood » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 am

James_0011 wrote:
jennypenny wrote:
Spartan_Warrior wrote:I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. To me, not being under the power of other people is exactly what freedom is. Can you clarify?

I won't answer for Ego, but I think once you take the red pill, you're free. The rest is just arranging your life to match your idea of what freedom should look like.

What do you mean by the red pill? serious question

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill

Taking the red pill can be translated into looking at reality for what it is for you and arrange your life to fit it, as opposed to letting reality dictate your well being. An example related to ERE might be that you realize working 9-5 in office slavery is no life for you, and you find a way to game the system and create a better reality for yourself. Taking the blue pill in this case would be to make up some belief that this is the kind of life you should have, and continue to live in a fairy tale. Its about attitude.

Olaz

Postby Olaz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:11 am

secretwealth wrote:But my life can be a warning to those who come afterwards, and if any twenty-something has had the patience to read this entire thing, I hope they read and remember this: money is power. Never forget that.

Sir, reporting for duty, sir! Thanks for sharing, another kick in the butt for me to elude not only the 9-5 consumption tread mill, but the often indentured pHD academia track.

Felipe

Postby Felipe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 pm

That resentment SW initially had to money is how I spent much of my teens. Thinking I was too good for money, that the financial system would collapse any day and an egalitarian, ecology-based society would arise as the norm.

I ended up earning decent money, partially out of luck, and feeling the rewards of this, realized money>academics while in college. By the time I found ERE, I knew money was very useful- I'd tried starting multiple businesses that all failed since I thought massive income from entrepreneurial endeavors were the only way to be free. Once I realized how modifiable expenses were, I realized a new kind of freedom.

I'm thankful I got this lesson early, and for all the wise souls showing us young ones the way. By 30, my dividends will exceed my expenses.

Aansar

Postby Aansar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:11 pm

riparian wrote:When I saw the title I was like, "did I make that thread?" LOL

Lately I've been coming to realize that money isn't just the power to have a place to live, options, security, etc, it's also the power to change society. Consider - I want to change a law. Am I better off getting a degree that will someday enable me to do research, or hiring a lawyer and researcher? I want homeless people in my city to have a warm place to sleep even if they don't fit into the religious rules of the shelter. Should I lobby the state for more funding and better rules, or buy an apartment building? With all that in mind, should I be getting an education or making money?

riparian, Same sort of view I also had. Anyway, must say its true Money has great value in our lives and we can't deny it. I am a traveller and often realized the importance of money in my life.

Return to “Inspiration”