Favorite Positive Thinking Quote

Favorite quotations, etc.
thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

Whether you think you can or can't, you're right - Henry Ford

C40

Post by C40 »

Let's plunge ourselves into the roar of time, the whirl of accident; may pain and pleasure, success and failure, shift as they will -- it's only action that can make a man.
GOETHE, Faust
Back when I was bike racing, I had this written on the back of a business card that I kept with my ID which I had on my when I raced. I would repeat it to myself in my head before the start of many races. It is very applicable in that sport.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Here's two from Jim Rohn:
"Happiness is not an accident. Nor is it something you wish for. Happiness is something you design."
"The major reason for setting a goal is for what it makes of you to accomplish it. What it makes of you will always be the far greater value than what you get."

Ego

Post by Ego »

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
Apparently Charles Darwin did not say this but who cares.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Lots over here!:

viewtopic.php?t=995

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind »

* It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat
* Courage doesn't always roar, sometimes its the calm voice saying I will try again tomorrow.
* The highest reward for ones toil is what one gets for it , but what one becomes by it.
* Action cures fear
* Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

mikeBOS

Post by mikeBOS »

The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. - Tacitus

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

As the sea is beautiful not only in calm but also in storm, so is happiness found not only in peace but also in strife.

- Ivan Panin
If you're going through Hell, keep going.

- Winston Churchill
@MikeBOS, my boys quote me something very similar every time they start constructing something in my backyard :)
-------
I added a section for quotations on the main wiki page for some inspiration when needed (more for ERE-related quotes, but add whatever seems to fit).

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/wiki/ ... Quotations

Chad

Post by Chad »

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
"We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear -- fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts, or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer."
Both from Hunter S. Thompson. The second one will be the undoing of the U.S., as we turn from risk takers to protectors as we worry more about losing what we have than winning/going forward.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Ahhh...I guess maybe the second one isn't so positive. Sorry about that. I always default to those two quotes whenever famous qoutes are brought up.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

"Do not look into the laser with your remaining eye."

- anonymous

Marius

Post by Marius »

It always seems impossible, until it is done. Let's do it.

-- Nelson Mandela
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

-- Muhammad Ali

Marius

Post by Marius »

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems,

but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

-- Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)
"The ideas we have about what the future will tend to be like, formulate the way we move forward. So it's very important that we have the most positive view of what the future will be. So you have to look at where you actually want to go, not where you're frightened that you'll end up"

-- Douglas Adams, interviewed in the Big Thinkers television program, shortly before his death.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0254127587

mfi

Post by mfi »

Poor and content is rich, and rich enough.

--Shakespeare (Othello)

GandK

Post by GandK »

Almost all of them can be found here:
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... oreau.html

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Winston Churchill

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

The height of cultivation runs to simplicty. -Bruce Lee

TheLuckyWizard

Post by TheLuckyWizard »

“Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough and I will move the world.”

Archimedes

dalralmi

Post by dalralmi »

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on" Robert Frost

Ego

Post by Ego »

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.