Favorite Positive Thinking Quote

Favorite quotations, etc.
FarmOne

Post by FarmOne »

The harder the battle, the more glorious the triumph.
Wealth is seldom achieved by those when sought directly, rather it is a byproduct of good service.
It's more important what you learn than what you earn.
Those that would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
No good deed goes unpunished.
If this page is missing call our toll free help line.

JohnnyH

Re: Favorite Positive Thinking Quote

Post by JohnnyH »

Not exactly positive thinking, but perfect ERE logical conclusion from one of the greatest investors, Benjamin Graham.

From mymoneyblog.com. Actual quote in bold, underlining mine:
Benjamin Graham is considered the father of stock analysis and value investing, with his books Security Analysis and The Intelligent Investor (first published in 1934 and 1939, but since revised many times) still considered must-reads today. He has many well-known disciples, Warren Buffett being the most famous one. Relatively early in his career, he experienced the Great Depression. I found this quote from his memoirs via The Biz of Life:

The Crash reaffirmed parsimonious viewpoints and habits that had been ingrained in me by the tight financial situation of my early youth but which I had overcome almost completely in the years of success.I blamed myself not so much for my failure to protect myself against the disaster I had been predicting, as for having slipped into an extravagant way of life which I hadn’t the temperament or capacity to enjoy. I quickly convinced myself that the true key to material happiness lay in a modest standard of living which could be achieved with little difficulty under almost all economic conditions.

Security analysis is all about managing risk and keeping a margin of safety. In my mind, Graham realized that a modest standard of living is part of keeping a margin of safety for your personal finances."

MinervaB

Post by MinervaB »

This song is my favorite positive thinking quote ever: http://wowmp3.net/music/matisyahu-one-day-mp3.html
There are so many life coaches and motivational stuff these days, and all of them say:"Forget about what they think or say, just go ahead and get what you want". They praise Ego and forget that people around you make you happy or unhappy.

workathome

Post by workathome »

It is absolutely wonderful to be positive. Unless it's a false positive, then you should try again.
- Anonymouse

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.

And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.”
-Albert Camus

Favorite Philosopher

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Over every mountain there is a path, although it may not be seen from the valley.
Theodore Roethke

A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken.
Warren Buffett

Hope has two beautiful daughters; their names are Anger and Courage. Anger at the way things are, and Courage to see that they do not remain as they are.
Augustine of Hippo

The dog that stays on the porch will find no bones.
Wendell Castle

Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.
Epictetus

Nomini

Post by Nomini »

Encouragement to take action, albeit from a slightly negative angle:
For all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: "It might have been." - John Greenleaf Whittier
Perhaps relevant to lifestyles which go against the "socially acceptable" grain:
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own course but on that of another - Nietzsche
Expenditure-side budget control relevant:
It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, who is poor - Seneca