You want your sons to become ERE, like you ?

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
frugal

Post by frugal »

Hi,
what do you want or expect that your young sons will think about you being ER ?
Will you save money so they can automatically be ERE?
Or will you teach them to be ERE?
Thanks.

prosaic

Post by prosaic »

What about daughters?

frugal

Post by frugal »

Sons & daughters will be prepared to do also ERE ?

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

I will try not to care too much either way. It is their life. What I will do is tell them what I think and why i have made the choices I have made. I reckon my wife will do the same. This i expect will go into the melting pot of their experinces and personality traits and throw out a person of some description on the other end. The only hope i have is that they dont marry snobs and that they barrack for my football team.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I'm going to come up with a complex financial game/rewards system.
"You can have a $10 bill, OR you can invest that $10 in your bike fund and earn $1 a month." Something like that... Hopefully they'll all be financially independent at a young age.

djc

Post by djc »

Our daughter, who will graduate from college this December, has for the most part accepted (and understands) ERE. Finally....
We just had a discussion about some of her friends parents who have chosen the Consumeristic lifestyle and how their kids seem pretty unhappy with all of their student loan debt, etc. A lot of her friends are reeeeeeeally trapped already. Sad, so very sad.
djc

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

What about mothers?

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I want them to know about the possibilities. They already understand that we consider waste to be a form of evil and that debt = stupidity.
But different personalities have different predilections towards saving. If I sent my eldest son with $20 on a school trip, he probably comes back with the $20 and says everything was too expensive. On the other hand, my second one would probably spend the $20 in 20 minutes buying candy for all of his friends.
I hope when they are really getting into the adult working world to have some conversations with them about what age they want to be able to stop working and what they would need to save in order to achieve that goal. It's too remote for them to think about when they are really young. Everybody is going to be taking the ERE book with them to college, though.

frugal

Post by frugal »

Nobody here is ER and has childs?
I think ER is easier for single ou couples without childs.
For example, a son will study during 17 years and work 5 for ERE, is this a good aim?

aussierogue

Post by aussierogue »

I have 2 children....
I cannot look so far into the future....so much can happen...
The aim should not be ERE. The aim should always be live happily and if in their eyes that means ere then that is choice they need to make when they are bwteen 18 and 25 years old.

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

I have 5 children.... and going about ERE, well kinda ERE, in a different way, because of having a large family - and being a single parent as well...
My kids always know there is $1,000 dollars plus for them in emergencies - but I won't fund cars or houses etc
They all know the value of $$$ as I explained 'needs and wants' to them when they were growing up
Sometimes Vegemite sangers were on the table (well, not exactly but you get my drift)... as 4 music lessons had to get paid that week - on one small income etc etc
None waste their $$$ on alcohol or smokes, so I guess Im a happy mum about that... and they are all in Uni education or working