Marissa Mayers a bit sick?

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
Dragline

Post by Dragline »

This is a really weird topic and strange conversation about a CEO when you think about it. Did we care what child-care arrangements the last CEO of Yahoo! (Scott Thompson) had made? Why didn't we ever discuss Steve Job's parenting skills and buy/sell Apple based on that criteria? "He's going to Vegas again to a conference and ignoring the kids -- is it time to sell?"
The bigger question -- Are women executives supposed to have a lesser entitlement to privacy than men? This is the implicit presumption of this topic. It is part of what is known colloquially as the "double standard".
Personally, I do not own Yahoo!, but if I did i would not care a whit about her parenting choices and skills, as long as they were legal. I would be glad that she is not a proven liar like the last one, though.
Some of my best mentors in professional life have been women -- at the highest levels they tend to be a bit tougher and more practical than most men, which I am guessing is the result of having to re-prove themselves at each level of advancement. As I get a little more gray hair, I've come to realize than my own competence is presumed. (I am tall and have the famed "executive-style hair" noted in one or more Dilbert cartoons.)
Finally, I note that success in one area of life does not equate with success in others, and often exceptional success in one area is accompanied by failure in others. I recall reading an article a few years ago about famous "bad fathers", who had terrible relationships with one or more of their children. Among the parenting failures featured were Gandhi and Ben Franklin.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I'm going to kill this thread shortly because it's pretty much a public discussion about an individual person based on conjecture and speculation which might very well be completely wrong. I've been the target of too many of these "internet lynchings" myself to let it stand/stay.