Xmas and Birthday Presents

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

How does everyone factor these into their Extreme budgetting??
Myself, I factor about 20 dollars a week = 1,000 a year... enough for big children birthday presents, and there is quite a few of them, along with friends and allows about 500 for Xmas including about 100 for Xmas day itself - extra food etc
Also, just wondering - when people stay over and of course there is extra food/expenses - how do you all manage the outlay? - we can have extra ppl for week/s
Thanks... Iru

Lepore64

Post by Lepore64 »

Yeah I don't have any kids, but everytime I see home videos of me or my fiance open presents I think, "there we are, getting brainwashed into excessive consumerism." But I can be extreme...if I wasn't I would just have gone to ER.com ;-p
as far as having people over, idk. I'm curious as well, that's why I'm giving this post a BUMP.

RecoveringConsumer

Post by RecoveringConsumer »

Well, most of my guests do buy food when they are over for a while.

I have smaller plates, I give my guests the privilege of slaving away in my garden (I mean, exploring the bucolic pleasures of my mountain cottage), and cooking together is a family tradition.

Maybe that's why guests only come up for Christmas and the rodeo....

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Married, no kids. My wife and I agreed on "no presents" at least 10 years ago. We'll bring food if we attend a party, or might take someone out for lunch if the situation warrants it. Everyone has too much crap anyway. All of our friends and family are aware of what we think.
It's only really been an issue with her family, specifically with them giving presents, despite us opting out. We thank them and donate anything we won't use to charity. I keep thinking eventually they'll realize we don't value the gifts and stop, but not yet.
If someone travels to see me, I feed them. Time lost to not working, coupled with travel expenses, means they have already incurred significant costs. The couple bucks it costs to keep them fed is small in comparison. It's only fair I try share the expense of our time together.

george

Post by george »

irukandjisting

Post by irukandjisting »

A friend of mine allows 500 dollars per child x 3 for Christmas - yikes!!!!
Admittedly, they don't have a dollar between them saved
I too like boardgames George - all my kids were brought up on Scrabble, Snakes n Ladder, Dominoes, Pick up Sticks, Snap and show Poker...basic stuff - there was not too much money around - lots of piano lessons - and they all have music jobs or degrees and jobs - that paid off well
Also reading books - from the library
I will even play Scrabble on my own with my 'pretend player partner' lol... and of course, I don't cheat lol
~~Iru~~