It's my birthday!

How to pass, fit in, eventually set an example, and ultimately lead the way.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The sad note is that I did not even notice until someone was filling out an open issue's list at a meeting I was in at Caterpillar. Does anyone else think all these birthdays and holidays are no big deal beyond that we should get to experience our freedom?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Don't feel bad, my family remembered when I got home!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Birthdays are some kind of ESFJ conspiracy. They stand for almost everything I don't (-:

Marius

Post by Marius »

Birthdays are ok with me, except for the satanic ritual gift giving ;-) and the impression that they succeed eachother at an increasingly faster pace.
P.S. Happy birthday Matthew! Live long and prosper, eh.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Cheers! My brother and I share birthday and Christmas presents by not having to exchange! Nothing more thoughtful than not requiring someone else to be!

Marius

Post by Marius »

@Matthew "My brother and I share birthday and Christmas presents by not having to exchange!"
Reminds me of this Dilbert comic

ScottfromMenominee

Post by ScottfromMenominee »

As an ISTJ, it's my duty to wish you a Happy Birthday!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

To Matthew: Let me wish you a happy birthday and a bountiful year ahead! Best Wishes!!
I consider one's birthday to be a personal milestone in their lives. Later in life, you will be measuring by decades instead of years ticked off the chart.
I reflect now on decades: (I get to do it in 5's and 10's)
My first section is 1945-1950. Of course I have few memories of that period other than I was a very spoiled, yet (I supose) happy normal? child.
1950-1960: Eisenhower, Korean War, Flower Power, School.
1960 - 1970: Civil Rights, Kennedy, Viet Nam, Free Love, College, Army, Marriage.
1970 - 1980: Daughter born, home bought, leisure suits, travel,

disco, for me a quite nice decade.
1980 - 1990: Daughter raised and married, Desert Shield/Desert Storm, moderate troubles here and there, but overall prosperity.
1990 -2000: Tilting over the hill, looking at retirement, a period of consumerism in the USA, too many trips to Europe. First grandchild born at first half of decade.
2000 - Present: 9/11, retired from military, bought into the apartment business, worked very very hard, second grandchild born, fully retired at end of decade.
It is to me interesting to place milestones in your decades, and use those to track yourself, and your journey. It does not have to be elaborate, just the things that rocked your world.
Happy birthday once more, and many happy returns!!!!!!

Marius

Post by Marius »

Kevin Kelly once wrote:
“My friend Stewart Brand, who is now 69, has been arranging his life in blocks of 5 years. Five years is what he says any project worth doing will take. From moment of inception to the last good-riddance, a book, a campaign, a new job, a start-up will take 5 years to play through. So, he asks himself, how many 5 years do I have left? He can count them on one hand even if he is lucky. So this clarifies his choices. If he has less than 5 big things he can do, what will they be?”

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks everyone!
@Marius
A neat way to plan my future!
@Hspencer
Any lifetime wisdom you would like to share with the young punks?

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Matthew
I don't have any secrets or keys to any kingdoms. You guys are ten times smarter than I was/am. Young people have this gift of grasping the electronic equipment that we did not have when I was 30-40 years old. In the US Army I thought I was a lightning speed typist. HA!! my granddaughter can type me under a rug. She is so quick to grasp and she is a 4 point grade average 9th grader.

She is doing math I cannot even fathom.

My advice is never never no not ever give up. Live your life very positive and self assured. I don't know what you will face in the future, but you can and will handle it fine. As the old saying goes: Handle it!!

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

@Matthew
Oh yes, I do have one point to share. Of late I find this important.
Have compassion for others! I probably did not do as well as I should on that issue. We never know what the other fellow or lady is going through, or where they came from, are what situation they came out of. Life is certainly not equal for all.

Thanks!!

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

haha, thats great HSpencer... have you read any Napoleon Hill? Better yet, listen to his lectures in "Your Right to be Rich." He touches a lot on what you just said.