thoughts on unicycles?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
bryan

Re: thoughts on unicycles?

Post by bryan »

It was a Kryptolok Series 2 Standard. Replacement is the Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

The kryptolok series 2 has only 13mm diameter bars which are not particularly great against a thief armed with a large bolt cutters. Your only protecting yourself from opportunists with those. Sadly, your replacement is not much better, albeit it has hardened steel, so it's going to take a bit more effort. I wouldn't put much faith in the evo series, I know of two bikes that were stolen here at the office with those locks, anecdotal evidence I know, but on both occasions, the locks were 13mm diameter, the more expensive bikes (therefore you would assume these would be targeted) locked with 14-16mm locks parked nearby were untouched.

Go for at least 15mm bars, 16mm would be much better, as it takes some serious effort, and getting the leverage right is essential, this will be neigh on impossible if your bike is mounted up in the air. Cheaping out on locks is a false economy.

enigmaT120

Post by enigmaT120 »

I have one of these locks I use with my Fargo:

https://www.abus.com/eng/Media/Multimed ... -Plus-6500

It's just barely long enough to lock the frame and front wheel together to a pole or bike rack.

Having said that, my bike is rarely out of my sight for very long.

bryan

Post by bryan »

> Replacement is the Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7.

I misspoke. I was looking at my Amazon history and this showed up but I think I immediately returned it and had bought an ABUS U-Mini 40 U-Lock locally instead?

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

That Abus is much better! 8-)

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Foldable kick scooters. They make them with tires 26", 20" , 12" on down. Great for around town and odd enough to be not worth stealing. I recommend pneumatic tires for sidewalks & roads. The vibration is worse than the increased effort.

An example:
http://www.sidewalkerusa.com/foot-bike.html

Campitor

Post by Campitor »

Why don't you get a boosted board? They are electric, have a 7 mile range (2 battery, go 22mph, and have regenerative breaking. It's not cheap ($1,299 or $1,499) but it's super portable, fast, and can be recharged in 75 minutes . Here's their website: Boosted

bryan

Post by bryan »

No need for a boosted board over a longboard I suppose.