thoughts on unicycles?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
bryan

thoughts on unicycles?

Post by bryan »

Like for commuting?

Searching the forums yields mostly comedic breaks, though there is one thread on "Folding Bike?" where it is mentioned kind of seriously.

Main cons I see:
  • balance (a lot of sub-cons here, like keeping your weight on seat and not pedals)
  • low speed
  • not normal, goofy, people looking at you
  • relatively expensive, all things considered
Low speed is the limit you can't really overcome. I think it ends up being about 2x walking speed; maybe better if you spend some $$ to get a geared hub.

I got excited about unicycles just now when thinking about how bulky bicycles are in the van and how they have a noticeable transaction cost of taking in/out. What if I could just grab a unicycle and be on my way? Certainly other perks as well thanks to the small form factor.

I also noticed there are electric unicycles which are actually quite cool but are basically segway for experts and not really fitting the use I was thinking.

James_0011

Re: thoughts on unicycles?

Post by James_0011 »

Why not get a skateboard? A foldable scooter probably is just as fast as well and more compact than a bicycle.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

unicycle has better tire size than either skateboard or scooter

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I don't see any real advantages over a bicycle, especially since even a very cheap, poorly functioning bicycle would probably out-perform the unicycle. I don't notice the same transaction cost you do. Still would need a helmet and proper clothing. Lack of convenient places to stow/attach cargo would be another con. Plus unless you already know how to ride one, there's a time/effort learning curve.

Still, the joy and novelty might outweigh these things if you can find one cheap, you find purpose in acquiring the skill and the commute is not too far. Then again, if its not far, you could walk.

Loner

Post by Loner »

A bike is better.

More efficient (http://www.glacierview.net/geowinters/forceNeeded.jpg), or rather most efficient (www.exploratorium.edu/cycling/images/efficeincy.gif). So if your goal is to minimize your transport time under under the constraint of “not sweating”, the bike wins. And if you goal is to minimize energy expenses under constraint to get to work in a set amount of time, the bike wins again.

It has also a better carrying capacity. Emergency braking on a unicycle will also be a problem. Riding a unicycle is a bit like walking. If you want to brake, you will have to get the contact patch of the tire in front of you, which means you’ll first have to accelerate and lean backwards. If you just slow down, you’ll fall face first.

I think getting a unicycle would be a waste of $.

You might do this already, but to minimize the bulk, put the bikes side by side, facing in opposite directions, with the pedals of one bike fitting in the empty spaces of the other one's frame. You can even slacken the handlebars and turn them to win more space. Or how about putting your bikes on a rack on the van, and locking them there?

As for all those other Segway-like “innovations”, here is an internet classic: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... eeds_to_be

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

brute's happy to see he's not the only one who hates bicycles and thinks they're a terrible compromise between high upkeep and slow speed

bryan

Post by bryan »

@Loner do you have a link to some write-up? I admit a bicycle is essentially better (efficiency at least from better gearing and easier to balance). Certainly I was disappointed that unis (and stuff like a gear hub) were expensive (I was thinking I could pick one up to learn on in a thrifty fashion).

The "transaction costs" I mention are specifically how I load/unload the bike(s) from the van and park them at a destination (admittedly slower than others and I could improve here). I keep them in the rear of the van fastened via rubber strap in such a manner that when I open the back the rear-most bike is free and I can simply take it down. Surprisingly this is still enough hassle that I only reach for the bike when I need to reach my destination "soon" and it is over two miles. A bike rack would be better but I'm worried about attempted theft and also considering reserving that space for a dual sport motorbike.

Now that James_0011 mentions it, a skateboard could make a lot of sense.. I've seen folks rolling on those pretty effectively (especially longboards?). I suspect they are faster than unicycles around town. I think the main concern would be any "off-road" terrain? Maybe roller-blades would work as well.. like strap a platform to my shoes.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I thought about it because even a folding bike is unpractical to carry in my car. I don't see any advantges over a scooter or a skate or running.

But why is brute saying that bike are too high a maintenance?
In many setting, you're as faster than with a car or public transportations, and for long distance, walking starts to require upkeep too.

Loner

Post by Loner »

@Bryan: I tried finding something more detailed than the links I posted, but I didn't find much. I get your point about theft. Maybe a longboard would do it if you only do asphalt.

I also agree that bikes can be very low maintenance.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Jean wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:27 am
I thought about it because even a folding bike is unpractical to carry in my car. I don't see any advantges over a scooter or a skate or running.

But why is brute saying that bike are too high a maintenance?
In many setting, you're as faster than with a car or public transportations, and for long distance, walking starts to require upkeep too.
for brute's living situation, bicycles have a similar upkeep in terms of time (not money obviously) than motorcycles, but are orders of magnitude slower.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

When I worked in Mountain View there was a guy who would commute to the train on a unicycle. Watching him teeter at an intersection or hop over the tracks, it always struck me as unsafe. If you're looking for a good balance of function and simplicity, a single gear bike seems like a better choice. There were also lots of people with longboards, and that works fine on flat terrain.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

If storage space is an isue, I second the roller blade suggestion.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Having similar thoughts about the efficiency, I bought one in my late twenties. I was in pretty good shape, and I could not figure out riding it. My balance has never been great, and it was just way harder than a bike.

I gave up, decided it was not worth the injury risk to pursue.

I also gave up on rollerblades, after falling a few times at high speed.

Bikes strike a good balance of safety and affordability.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

Yeah, dealing with balancing in gritty urban traffic siutations is not a great idea.

+1 for Tyler's suggestion to consider a singlespeed if maintenance is a major concern. Otherwise a regular bicycle with derailleurs is the most sensible form of transportation for commuting longer distances than you can cover running/walking. I don't really see the maintenance on my road bike as a major drawback, as they are simple enough, anyone mechanically minded can pickup the skills to keep them on the road. For everyone else, there is the local bicycle repair shop, which should only cost you peanuts to keep in good service.

I would consider a motorcycle if I didn't have to worry about the expenses of licencing, insurance, tax, fuel plus the peak oil, climate change guilt thing.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Orders of magnitude seems excessive, unless your legs and speed-limit enforcment are both non existent.

bryan

Post by bryan »

OP mentions why a bicycle is not preferred and it's not due to maintenance. Though I've also considered some mods to a bike that would make it just a bit more convenient (for storage; handle bars unlocking and latching parallel to the frame and pedals that fold up). A singlespeed would help in-so-far as it doesn't have bulky/sensitive gearing. Even with these mods, a skateboard/rollerblades still seems pretty attractive. I think rollerblades are safer?

I've all but given up on the unicycle, already :oops:

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

bryan wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm
I got excited about unicycles just now when thinking about how bulky bicycles are in the van and how they have a noticeable transaction cost of taking in/out.
For inspiration: https://www.pinterest.com/lspswr/take-y ... -your-van/

bryan

Post by bryan »

other than the mounts on the outside of the van, those sort of match what I meant: bikes are somewhat disassembled (increasing further transaction cost) or just plain waste space.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

What exactly are you doing with the van that means storing a bicycle would get in the way? You could hang a bicycle from the inner walls, so it doesn't take floor space, lots of garage storage techniques could be adapted to do this.