The Elio, the Frugal man's car?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Slevin

The Elio, the Frugal man's car?

Post by Slevin »

While walking and bicycling are certainly the optimal transportation methods, has anyone taken a look at the new Elio ? With 84+ MPG, a "Made in America" label, North American products, and a price that is equivalent to a very nice bike, it looks like it could be a very cost effective way to do long-distance travel. I can't imagine that this thing can have a large depreciation curve, since it looks to have such a small initial cost anyways. It also will apparently tout a 5 star crash test rating. Randomly happened to to walk by their stand last weekend in Denver CO while they were here, and it appealed to my frugal self.

To be melodramatic, is this the eventual future of the auto industry :lol: ? What do you guys think of it?
http://www.eliomotors.com/

sky

Re: The Elio, the Frugal man's car?

Post by sky »

I like it. I am hoping to hold on to my Nissan Versa until I can get a self driving car, but I would consider switching to one of those.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

I would never be a "first adopter" of such a thing, but will be curious to see if it takes off. The price is much lower than other three-wheeled vehicles.

Here's a video review from Scotty Kilmer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30UG77zIzI4

steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

As a person that has a 1K non-refundable deposit down on this car and a number in line, I would tell people to wait and see. I am highly skeptical this car will ever go to market and the management is not communicating anything timely other than the need to raise about 250MM to produce it on top of the millions in deposits they received. I support the concept but the endless move backs in scheduled production to the point now where they are no longer able even tell you makes me feel this is DOA. It is borderline unconsionable to keep implying this is gonna happen when it is anything but certain. Of course do not say anything negative to the ElioOwners KoolAid drinkers fan board. You would think they are on the payroll. A lot of people that put deposits down are by this time needing cars and are jumping ship (forfeiting the deposit). I will be unfollowing them on facebook as well. When I finally need a new car I will walk away as well. If I walk away, and you are interested in this car, I may be willing to make an arrangement to purchase the car for you specced out the way you want, Technically they are non transferable but a work around could take place... I hope this car gets built but I have no more confidence...

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

It may be just my perception, but I feel like there is a trend toward fraud in the start-up/crowdfunding space right now, particularly for "green" projects, which sometimes seem "to-good-to-be-true".

Here's another example: http://www.crowdfundinsider.com/2015/04 ... i-was-had/

I see a pattern that goes back at least to the early days of the internet (but is probably as old as markets themselves). First somebody comes up with a platform for trading something or engaging in some transaction in a new way. Second, it takes off and gains lots of adherents and positive stories. But then third, shysters and people with fraudulent intentions (a/k/a sociopaths) move in and take advantage of the "positive buzz" to defraud people.

Then there are two possible outcomes: Either the platform is simply abandoned or it puts in place some kinds of anti-fraud mechanisms. In either case it becomes "less" of what it once was or morphs into something different.

I suppose the two biggest examples I'm thinking of are Ebay auctions and Prosper for P2P lending. I wonder if the same thing will happen with Airbnb.

I've come to the conclusion that it's best not to get involved with new platforms unless you know what they have in place to prevent fraud (which is usually nothing to start in my experience).

startbyserving

Post by startbyserving »

I was monitoring the Elio Last year. I made some posts to the their board discussing calculated risks. I made the claim there to be zero benefit in making a 'all in' deposit less than $1000. (Go 'all in' or don't)

Response I got was essentially they were putting in a little but of a time similar to a 'payment plan'. Cars were planned on being delivered to customers forever ago. Somewhat like a pyramid scheme the early purchasers have the best shot at getting a car if any ever come out. Therefore they have every incentive to hold out hope.

I really wanted something to come of it. Looks like the critical bloggers (Crunching the numbers on data I didn't understand) turned out to be right.

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

I have found this thread fruitfully dissapointing :|. Though I never intended to put down a deposit, I also wish something would come of this... But oh well, there are plenty of smart people in the world and many of them will have other good transportation ideas (I don't know if anyone can ever beat the bike though :D ).

Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Slevin wrote:I have found this thread fruitfully dissapointing :|. Though I never intended to put down a deposit, I also wish something would come of this... But oh well, there are plenty of smart people in the world and many of them will have other good transportation ideas (I don't know if anyone can ever beat the bike though :D ).
You still have electric velomobiles.

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2012/10/ ... biles.html

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Kriegsspiel wrote: You still have electric velomobiles.
Ahhhhh :D this is the solution I've always wanted. Still a bike, but enough technology used to travel long distances in more comfort with protection from the elements. Plus they are mechanically simple enough that I can fix them and even possibly build them with a small set of tools. And the batteries are small enough they could be charged relatively quickly if they needed to be (and of course I would need a quick food break after 100 miles or so anyways :) ). Now I'm going to spend all weekend researching them to find out how viable they are to build and care for long term!

stand@desk

Post by stand@desk »

What's wrong with an older higher mileage Honda Civic? Plus with a car like the one posted, would it not be a target for others to vandalize or steal (cause it's new and fancy)?

Slevin

Post by Slevin »

Nothing wrong with that at all. That is what I do now. I am really looking for a more optimal solution though, and the better one happened to come from Kriegsspiel.

I do think you have a bad argument there though, as old Toyota Camry's and Honda Civics are actually the cars that get stolen the most. This is because as they are easy to steal, ubiquitous (so they don't stand out if stolen) and people repair them often enough that they can just be stripped for parts so its nearly impossible to be caught after it has been stolen.