what are your thoughts on ride sharing?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
FRx

what are your thoughts on ride sharing?

Post by FRx »

so my town Portland just started allowing Uber and Lyft to operate in the city limits. I'm just thinking about it and how it affects everything but I'm really not able to come up with much. What are your thoughts? Is it a good thing that might help less people purchase cars, maybe get some people to get rid of their car? maybe attract more people coming to town without cars?

Or is it the opposite where it's just reinforcing the car culture? We have a decent public transport system but when trying to combine a bike and public transport especially during busier hours there is the issue of how many bikes can really fit on a bus/trolley.

In Cali when I started commuting mostly by

FRx

Re: what are your thoughts on ride sharing?

Post by FRx »

Ok dunno how to edit my post but I pressed submit too quickly....
So in Cali I used to rent my car out on Relay Rides when I started commuting by bike mostly. I thought that was pretty cool actually.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Given how many singles are in cars, almost any method of getting more than one person in a car is a net benefit, IMO.

It's the same principle as why buses are more efficient -- its not the mpg that matters but the mpg x persons transported.

As an aside, I've always been annoyed by mpg as a metric, because it's measuring the inverse of what you care about, which is gallons per mile, which is then easily converted into dollars per mile.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Historical perspective is that everyone & their under-employed brother used to troll for rides when cars were a new thing. That's how the licensing & cap on quantity of taxicabs became the market we've known for nearly a century. Until Uber & Lyft entered, and then, suddenly, things have changed.

My opinion is: We're going to relearn the lesson about licensing taxis drivers and capping the quantity of taxicabs because moonlighters will clog the street looking for fares.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I spoke to an Uber engineer who said they grow fastest in cities with the most broken public transit systems. We spoke mostly of LA where I use the service extensively to get around. I used to rent a car or borrow a car but now I exclusively use Uber. From the airport to my mom's house it costs me 30% less than super shuttle after tip. They say you're not supposed to tip but the price is so low I figured the driver isn't earning enough.

It has really shaken things up in LA. For example, if I'm going to meet a family member for dinner in downtown LA I'll get an Uber then ride home with the family member to mom's. That way we can talk during traffic rather than returning home in separate cars.

Another is I've been getting iPhones for the older members of the family. My big challenge is getting them to use a smartphone but once they do, they now have low cost limo service. They use it to go to bookstores, visit old friends or meet me for dinner. This is a big deal for old folks who lose their driving privileges.

Last trip I had a friend actually leave her car miles away from our meeting parked on a street and then use uber to get into a particularly congested area with no parking. The young folks are really embracing this thing.

So I'm sold. It already is shaking things up. My contact at uber said Desoto Cab in SF is ready to go bankrupt. And those medallions have lost 99% of their value overnight. I feel bad for the immigrants who bought them hoping to make an investment but investors get burned sometimes.

I'm a personal vehicle nut and I haven't ridden a city bus for 40 years. But I've got to say I'm converted now. I'll still keep my car but before I drive out into the snarl I now consider calling a ride.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

My libertarian side likes that we can directly arrange to share rides, and that the free market is destroying the cabbies after years of dealing with their high prices, poor customer service, and inefficient booking system. I don't like all the cities getting involved, but I know they want their cut.

On a personal level, I don't use them. I've shared them with friends, and they're way better than cabs, but I hate how everyone thinks it's some incredible deal for a nominal expense. I wish I had a nickel for every time someone invited me somewhere and then added, "It's only like, a $13 uber." Why in the blue fuck would I want to pay $13, or even half of it, to go to a bar, spend a bunch more money, then get another uber home?

At least taking them to a bar if you're drinking a lot makes some sense, but I know people who sometimes take them to and from work, and other broad-daylight, dead-sober places, usually riding alone. The cost can add up quickly. I prefer to designate a driver and carpool or if it's daytime, take the bus.

The one place I'd love to be able to take them is the place they're not allowed to go: LAX. They can drop you off to catch the shuttle, but since I only fly about twice per year, I just take the three buses I need to get there. Formerly $2 total, presently free as part of my $11/month unlimited bus pass from work.

Of the two, I prefer the Lyft drivers, but most of my ridesharing was a while back with the regular uber, before uber-x took off. The drivers were all cabbies and limo drivers making extra change, and they were still assholes. Lyft was always some young hip guy from Philly who just moved here and can't find a full-time job but would chew your ear off about video games.

My understanding is that uber-x is similar to Lyft in the driver demographic.