non-owned vehicle car insurance

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Alexandra

non-owned vehicle car insurance

Post by Alexandra »

We have been car free for about 18 months. Lots of positives. New problem.
I lost my job. New job prospects are all looking like i'd need a car for networking events or sales calls. sigh.

I am talking to my retired mom about doing a car share with her (they have two cars).
Recently heard about "non-owned vehicle" car insurance. Scratching my head thinking I may need to get this.

I have been renting a car once a month and apparently not getting enough insurance. Not sure if this is scare tactics or reality.
I think most of us skip rental insurance since our car insurance covers it. Now that i'm without car insurance, the rental car insurance is HIGH.
Started looking into something i can carry yearly. Also want to make sure I have coverage if I wreck my mom's car.

ANY one out there have some input on this?
SO far, renting a car 12 year is still much cheaper than owning a car.

Chris

Re: non-owned vehicle car insurance

Post by Chris »

Rental car insurance offered by credit cards generally only covers damage or theft of the rental vehicle. You should also be concerned about:
  • Damage to another vehicle (if you cause a crash)
  • Property damage
  • Bodily injury to yourself, your passenger, drivers and passengers of other cars, and pedestrians
If you're talking car sharing, you should check the price of being added as a supplementary driver to your mom's insurance. It could be cheaper than a separate policy.

Alexandra

Re: non-owned vehicle car insurance

Post by Alexandra »

thanks folks. I will look into being added to mom's insurance.