Cheapest Way to get from Massachusetts to Minnesota & back?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
TopHatFox

Cheapest Way to get from Massachusetts to Minnesota & back?

Post by TopHatFox »

I met my partner this summer and we fell deeply in love (and we're both into ERE, which is rare & exciting!).

Unfortunately, now I'm going to school in Massachusetts & she's going to school in Minnesota. We've been video calling (anywhere from 5 minutes to a couple of hours) one another almost everyday since we last saw each other on August 17, but we would definitely like to see each other in person again.

Since my college has a 10 day Thanksgiving break (Nov 22 to Nov 30) and a long January Term (Dec 19 to Jan 21), we were thinking that these would be the most ideal points to visit one another.

--------------------------------------

Question is, what's the cheapest way to get to Minnesota & back on Thanksgiving break & January Term (perhaps I could only visit during J-term). I'd like to optimize both cost & travel time/time I'm actually in Minnesota.

Some of my potential ways of travel include placing an ad on Craigslist for long distance carpooling, buying a discount plain ticket on Cheap Flights, or taking the Greyhound.

My partner & I will share the cost of the traveling expenses.

Any creative solutions?
Last edited by TopHatFox on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

George the original one

Re: Cheapest Way to get from Massachusetts to Minnesota & ba

Post by George the original one »

Since you need to adhere to a schedule, the cheapest way (hitchhiking) is out.

Check the fare prices and compare. Booking earlier is usually cheaper than last minute. Don't forget to check Amtrak.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

Do people at your schools have a BBS (I'm dating myself) or a university forum where you can post this stuff? Pre Internet there was a message board at the student union where you'd post ride shares over the holidays. If you go through the university it is less creepy than hitch hiking. I guess it was kind of hitch hiking but a little more selective. You knew if you or the other person really acted up it could follow you.

Good luck. Sounds fun being young.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I think Megabus is your best bet. It looks like they have a stop in Amherst which you could take to New York then Chicago then Minneapolis for a grand total of around $70 one way if you book far enough in advance. I've used Megabus multiple times and its a great service. MUCH better than greyhound. Nice buses, on time and free wi-fi. Of course it would be slower than travelling by car or plane but besides sharing a ride, I think this would be your least expensive option.

Edit: see http://www.megabus.com

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

I was also going to suggest Megabus. However, the time from New York to Chicago is about 18 hours, so I'm guessing the whole trip would take about 3 days each way. Since your break is only 9-10 days, travel time would take up a huge chunk. It would be practical for the January term, though.

simplex

Post by simplex »

Hi,

I would just look up the cheapest airfare. If you travel by bus it takes much longer, and probably you'll spend money on food and drinks and sleeping on the road. This cost together with the lost time can easily make a plane ticket worthwhile.
You could also think of going on a plane in 1 day, working for two days to earn some extra money, which might equal in time the 3 day bus journey.