Winter Biking

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
BlueNote

Winter Biking

Post by BlueNote »

I want to ride a bike as transportation during the winter. I live in Toronto and the winters here can be fairly brutal for biking due to snow, slush, ice, cold etc.

I have researched my options and the best option I have found is a fat bike with studded tires.

The fat bike tires should provide enough ‘float’ for me to take my usual bike trail route to work, even in most fresh snow conditions. If I stud the tires it makes it safe to ride in super icy conditions.

The bike and studding in the video link below seems to be the best setup I could find from a cost/benefit perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oweW948dKVM

I know I will need to get hand protection and face protection from the cold. I will also need to get a backpack for my work gear.

I am ok shelling out the 1 or two grand for the equipment as long as it is high quality and long lasting enough to amortize well compared to bus fare.

Does anyone here do a winter biking commute? Any suggestions?

henrik

Re: Winter Biking

Post by henrik »

Do they use salt on the streets to melt the ice and snow? If so, you need to clean your bike fairly regularly, otherwise the metal will rust quickly.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

Mr. Money Mustache rides a bike year round. He lives in Colorado.
He champions biking a lot.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

+1 to the fat bikes idea. I've read of several people in Alaska who bike everywhere in the winter with their fat bike. They are expensive though.

sky

Post by sky »

I used to commute all winter, but I fell on the ice a few times and eventually decided to walk instead.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Toska's advice is good. I also use flat pedals, winter boots and rain pants. I have a number of coats and other layers I can combine for the upper body.

I wear a wool/synthetic winter hat (make sure it covers your ears) and a normal cycling helmet. The snowboard type helmets with a liner are also becoming popular for the winter. I find them to be too warm.

Sunglasses for the bright snow during the day and clear safety glasses for night are helpful.

If it's well below 0F I will wear a mask and ski goggles. The neoprene masks with holes to breathe through are good. The call of duty navy seal type with no holes freeze up really fast because your breath condenses and then freezes in the material.

Backpacks are ok but they make my back sweaty and tired. I prefer panniers. Ortliebs are the best.

Winter biking destroys the drivetrain of a bike. Be prepared for much more maintenance than normal. If you can store the bike in a warm place where it will melt and dry every night that will help a lot. Get chain lube like rock and roll extreme and use a lot of it. Single speeds/internal hubs are better for requiring less maintenance but can be brutal to pedal if conditions are difficult and you can't get the easy gearing you need.

Use anti seize compound or grease on the bolts, bottom bracket, etc. when you assemble the bike.

Mechanical disc breaks are great in winter. Hydraulics freeze sometimes. Rim breaks don't work reliably in snow.

There's a lot more night in winter so get good lights. I like the planet bike superflash taillight and anything with at least 200 lumens for a headlight. Reflectors are good too. Ride super defensively in winter as cars are not expecting bikes.

Pogies/mitts are useful for keeping your hands warm but make it harder to ride. I use them as a last resort on really cold days.

Pugsleys have been around long enough in my area that they are now available used on Craigslist for less than $1000. Many people bought them as a novelty so some have low miles.

Riding in winter can be tough and wear on a person. Have a backup plan and consider riding a few days a week and giving yourself a break on some days so you don't give up.

Wow, I wrote a lot. Too much coffee this morning. Hope this helps.