Hitchhiking

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
7Wannabe5

Hitchhiking

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Have any of you ever considered or used hitchhiking as a means of transportation? I did in my youth but it was already on the decline in terms of social acceptability and popularity. Obviously, it would meet the general ERE standards of being both an inexpensive and environmentally friendly choice. My experience was that at worst it wasn't any more dangerous or unpleasant (especially using buddy system)than something like maybe risking being chatted up while you wash your clothes in a laundromat.

I wouldn't do it at my age because whenever I do anything like that at my age I get the feeling that I am making people worry that something has gone tragically wrong with society...but some of you kids might give it a try.

George the original one

Re: Hitchhiking

Post by George the original one »

When I'm fishing, I do a lot of hiking. Sometimes there's a road and I'll be offered a ride... depending on whether I want the exercise, I may accept. I don't seek rides, though.

riparian

Post by riparian »

I do it.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

I think there's another thread here about it but CloudFlare dissuades me from looking it up for you. I hitchhiked most of the way across the U.S. as a college kid (almost ten years ago; hard to believe). It was a good experience, but if I were to do it again I'd probably want a partner--for safety reasons as well as boredom reasons. It's not always easy getting a ride (at least for a guy) and I spent many hours walking or standing by the side of the road in the sun, during which I could've used some company.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I've done it about 20 times and had 90% positive experiences... But like S_W said sometimes you'll wait so long you'll really question the wisdom of it. Even clean cut wearing business casual I've waited over 4 hours. I was just reading with a visible little sign for my destination. It really is amazing (and sad) how fearful and distrustful your average American is...

Taking in the general population where I was hitchhiking the average party to offer rides was generally: ~1.7 people, younger (under 40), less wealthy (though not overtly poor), more religious, less white, more male, more parents with children (oddly, although they were usually not in the car)... About 66% of the boomers with expensive cars appeared visibly uncomfortable and would not make eye contact.

anomie

Post by anomie »

When I was young and bullet-proof (around 31), I hitchhiked several times across NE Missouri to a bus station in an urban area. Lucked out and developed a relationship/reliable ride across state with a milk delivery man.

He eventually got tired of lugging me around after about 5 trips, but he was a great sport about it .. :)

belgiandude

Post by belgiandude »

I have been hitchhiking regularly.

In my home country:
- hitchhiking was the fastest means to visit my parents while studying at university
- various other rides to many destinations

On an epic trip:
- I hitchhiked from Helsinki via Russia, Ukraine and most of the balkan to Greece. I usually got a ride within 10 minutes :) (this one was probably a little bit too risky, as I did it during winter/spring. However, good clothes protected against the cold.)

During many other holidays, including in 'unsafe' countries like Mexico, Colombia, and Brazil.