Transportation not requiring insurance

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
FI_Driven

Transportation not requiring insurance

Post by FI_Driven »

In the next year, I am working to move much closer to work.

My goal is avoid/reduce expenses on tolls, gas, wear and tear. If I can get rid of a vehicle I'll gladly do it to avoid registration and insurance.

The roads by my job are not biking friendly in the least bit. No bike lanes, 45-50 mph speed limits, and a tourist area. With a kid, I'm not exactly open to taking this sort of risk.

What options are available other than riding a bicycle to work?

chenda

Re: Transportation not requiring insurance

Post by chenda »

Can you just move to walking distance ?

FI_Driven

Post by FI_Driven »

Can't find anything that close as it's mostly hotels and restaurants nearby. The other negative is things <2 miles are much pricier.

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

In some states, a 50cc moped/scooter does not need insurance.
In some states, a 50cc moped/scooter does not need tags.

Insurance/tags can be $50/year for each if required.

Some can do 35mph.

I would also look into electric bike options and add on kits if the goal is to avoid insurance/tags/fuel costs.

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

How old is your child and are you going to transporting them somewhere too?

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Any road that you find too dangerous to cycle on I would not recommend small mopeds/scooters either.

How is your public transit? Is there a bus stop nearby or that you could walk to?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Telecommute.
Live close enough to walk, run, or swim to work.
Human powered vehicles (bicycle, skateboard, unicycle, kayak, canoe, rowboat, etc.).
Powered vehicles that might not require insurance (bicycle, moped, powerboat).
Public transportation (bus, subway, sky-tram, trolley, train, water taxi, moving walkway, monorail).
Car pool, where someone else owns the car.

FI_Driven

Post by FI_Driven »

The wife would still have her car, which is where the car seat is. I basically use my car to go to and from work.

Telecommuniting at my current job is not possible. Not to say I can't find something else, but I do like what I do.

I just checked the public transportation available and it looks like no bus routes on that street. I will keep searching on carpooling, and living close enough to walk.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Transporter, though some risk for your molecules being scrambled. Also not invented yet.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Maybe switching to a smaller car like a smart would work. You'll still pay insurance, but it will be relatively small.

Davo1962

Post by Davo1962 »

Remember [this post is specific to the USA] there are two types of insurance: Liability and Comprehensive (even in NoFault states like KY). My rule of thumb has always been that if you can stand the loss (usually pay outright to replace the vehicle) then you should have only Liability. It you have full coverage you are most likely driving too much car, or your car is worth so little that it is a waste of money, or you REALLY need an emergancy fund.

I am thinking of saving auto money by having a spring / summer / fall motorcycle (or moped) and a winter car. Only one will have auto insurance at a time. If my health were better I'd go for the motorcycle with heated jacket & gloves year around (liability < $100).

On the other hand if you had a really nice bike or two that you drove everywhere in place of a car then you may with to carry extra coverage on it that your homeowner's may not provide.

Even a used Smart Car will have much higher insurance than my wife's 29 year old Chevy Nova (RIP good and faithful car).

Why can't you and your wife carpool?
How "outside the box" are you willing to go? How about your wife?

NickJ

Post by NickJ »

I bet you could find someone to carpool with. Offer to chip in for gas and you'll be golden.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

There is no public transportation within 1-2 mile of your office?... Also, there are NO sidewalks (they're always empty, why not bike on them?) and/or alternative routes avoiding busy roads to your office?

I've never had a job where I couldn't find an alternative way to get there avoiding the most dangerous and unpleasant routes.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

wheatstate wrote:In some states, a 50cc moped/scooter does not need insurance.
In some states, a 50cc moped/scooter does not need tags.

Insurance/tags can be $50/year for each if required.

Some can do 35mph.

I would also look into electric bike options and add on kits if the goal is to avoid insurance/tags/fuel costs.
I have a Yamaha Zuma 49cc scooter. No insurance or registration requirement below 50 cc in IN or KY. I have used it for nearly 3000 miles in about 18 months. It get over 100 Miles Per Gallon! It goes 38 on flat ground and much slower on hills. You can stay surprisingly dry during rainy weather but it is very hard to stay warm even for short trips with temps below 40f.

The scooter is legal on all non interstate roads. It gets sketchy on 55 MPH roads when cars roar up behind you and then pass. Cars continually underestimate the speed it takes to pass a scooter. As they approach oncoming traffic and have not made it around you, the car will rather nudge you onto the shoulder than meet a car in the passing lane head on.

Ricky

Post by Ricky »

I'd pay the $100/yr to get one that would do at least 55 to avoid manic car passing idiots. Guess it all depends on your route though.