Looking for advice - Acura RSX 2002

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
seanbrenna

Looking for advice - Acura RSX 2002

Post by seanbrenna »

I have a 2002 Acura RSX with 95k on it. I have the oil changed every six months, have replaced the tires once, front breaks replaced, air filter maybe twice. Painted it once and had some minor body work done. Drive almost 10k per year.

What is the most economical thing for me to do? Sell it and buy something else (doubt it) or maintain this thing and run it for as long as possible?

I have limited auto repair knowledge; but would be interested in learning. Also, I need a car for my job (real estate appraiser).

Would love to hear what you car experts think.

Thanks!

Dragline

Re: Looking for advice - Acura RSX 2002

Post by Dragline »

I vote for keep it and drive it until something major breaks. If it had any major problems, you would know by now. It could go another 100K easy if you keep replacing peripheral items as they wear out.

Also, unlike some Honda/Acuras, that car has a timing chain (as opposed to a belt). The chain should never need replacing, whereas the belts always do and cost $$$.

BTW, you may need new tires soon.

seanbrenna

Post by seanbrenna »

Thanks Dragline.

Are there any proactive things I should be doing besides changing oil?

I actually replaced 2 tires recently (I guess that was probably the second replacement) and will need to replace the other too soon.

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Well, you are already doing the fluids, which is the main thing.

Beyond that, my best advice is find a mechanic you can trust, preferably within walking distance of where you live. At some point, something will break and you will want someone trustworthy to help you decide what to do about it.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Watch for signs of blue smoke when shifting. That would indicate valve stem seals. Potentially worth replacing them if you reach 150k miles and they haven't begun leaking. Valve adjustments, in general, should be done on the factory schedule.

seanbrenna

Post by seanbrenna »

Thanks George. Maybe I should look at the manual and try to get up do date on the maintenance suggestions?

Gordon_Gekko

Post by Gordon_Gekko »

I would also take a look and record your gas mileage every time you fill up. If it drops significantly, you will know something is up. In the next 25k miles you might need to replace a spark plug or 02 sensor.

seanbrenna

Post by seanbrenna »

Good idea. Thanks Gordon

BobLandish

Post by BobLandish »

I have a 2002 also, with 121,000 miles. Before this one I had a 1992 which i took to 250,000 miles. These were built in japan, so they are pretty sturdy, I've gone back and forth about switching it out for a car with better fuel economy but they already get 30mpg if you drive them well, so it's kind of an insignificant gain.

I doubt you'll find a more economical car, depreciation and repair wise. They hold their value pretty well and are rock solid. But you still have to expect to pay for repairs. Once all cars get to be 14-20 years old, everything rubber starts to come apart. That means power steering seals, motor mounts, brake seals, engine oil seals, etc. Towards the end of the 1992's life it needed a new steering rack, rear main seal, 4 new motor mounts, oil pan gasket, radiator hoses... At 250,000 miles the transmission bearings started to make noise and along with the body damage and my new job meant it was time to go.

Factor $500-$1000 per year for repairs on average. That does not include maintenance. Mine were on the lower side of this range but I performed 90% of them myself.

I've crunched the numbers on lots of different car scenarios, but I can't find an easy solution. Getting a reliable inexpensive car and keeping it a long time is the best deal, but you can't escape repairs, depreciation, fuel and insurance. Only minimize them.

Source: I am a CPA and went to trade school for automobile repair.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Keep it! Family friend has an RSX, passed 200k miles, still runs like new.

I believe that's 100% made in Japan. You're not going to get higher quality.