Cheapest Way to get from Miami, Florida to Amherst, Mass.

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
HappyGarret

Cheapest Way to get from Miami, Florida to Amherst, Mass.

Post by HappyGarret »

I need to get to Amherst College at Amherst, Massachusetts from Miami, Florida by August 25th, 2013.

I also need to get my stuff there. This includes: A 20 lb bicycle, floor pump, road pump, helmet, two U-locks, cable lock, pad lock, allen set, wrenches, tire levers, chain cleaner, oils, grease, a few other tools, clothes, bed sheets, and some books (ERE related, of course).

So, what's the cheapest, most practical way to go about it?
Last edited by HappyGarret on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chenda

Re: Cheapest Way to get from Miami, Florida to Amherst, Mass

Post by chenda »

Rent a van probably, and spend a long weekend on a road trip :)

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Ride, baby! Ride like the wind!

HappyGarret

Post by HappyGarret »

I would like to bike all the way there believe me, but I do not have the adequate materials, namely camping equipment, and more importantly, I do not wish to alienate my parents with my 'craziness'. I'll make sure to do so next summer though, I figure they won't mind as much after a year of me living by myself.

As for the van idea, per my bike vendetta, I do not have a driver's license yet; the rent and gas might end up costing a plane ticket as well.

Speaking of a plane ticket, one ticket, and shipping my stuff through UPS/USPS, will cost anywhere from $200-400. What are your opinions on that method?
Last edited by HappyGarret on Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Ask around, "Would you like to go to Massachusetts with me? I'll pay for the gas. You can stay as long as you like."

llorona

Post by llorona »

A Greyhound ticket will cost about $130. Not sure how much of your stuff you'd be able to take with you, but I suppose you could ship the rest.

Ego

Post by Ego »

HappyGarret wrote:I would like to bike all the way there believe me, but I do not have the adequate materials, namely camping equipment, and more importantly, I do not wish to alienate my parents with my 'craziness'. I'll make sure to do so next summer though, I figure they won't mind as much after a year of me living by myself.
If you convince your parents there is always couchsurfing for cyclists: http://www.warmshowers.org/

HappyGarret

Post by HappyGarret »

I like the greyhound bus idea, it seems like a moderate unconventional approach, one to get some resistance, but not completely shut off. It's also ~50% cheaper than the plane idea.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Yeah I think the cheapest is going to be riding the bus and having whatever you can't carry shipped separately. You should look into Greyhound's luggage rules but I imagine that you could fit everything on your list except the bike, and maybe the sheets, on the bus with you, and pay a bike shop to box and ship the bike separately.

Also I would cross-shop Megabus, Amtrak, and cheap flights, especially since your dates are flexible.

Linens are bulky and cheap so it may be cheaper to buy new ones in Amherst than pay for bringing them along.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Also I would get a quote from PODS, or one of their competitors, for moving everything except your person:
http://www.pods.com/

That might be cheaper since you can pack all your stuff in free cardboard boxes and rope instead of buying luggage and a fancy bike shipping box.

C40

Post by C40 »

Depending on details, you might want to consider selling the bike and buying one down there. Mainly depends on how long you'd be OK going without the bike

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It sounds like you only have a few suitcases worth of stuff?
Greyhound + UPS (about $1/lbs) and USPS-mediamail for the books.
Ask your LBS to see if they have a (cheap/free) bike box for you.

If the bike is just for getting around campus, consider getting a beater bike where you don't mind if it's stolen. College campus. Less regrets. And once you finish your degree and leave campus, just leave it unlocked for 30 mins and it'll be gone.

bibacula

Post by bibacula »

Greyhound allows passengers up to 50 pounds of luggage at no extra charge. Your bicycle will need special packaging and an additional fee. Here's their info:

http://www.greyhound.com/en/ticketsandt ... ation.aspx

P.S. After I became FI, I moved between cities using Greyhound with just a checked duffel bag and a carry-on backpack. An inexpensive and easy move!

HappyGarret

Post by HappyGarret »

jacob wrote:It sounds like you only have a few suitcases worth of stuff?
Greyhound + UPS (about $1/lbs) and USPS-mediamail for the books.
Ask your LBS to see if they have a (cheap/free) bike box for you.

If the bike is just for getting around campus, consider getting a beater bike where you don't mind if it's stolen. College campus. Less regrets. And once you finish your degree and leave campus, just leave it unlocked for 30 mins and it'll be gone.
With Greyhound's generous baggage policies I can fit everything I own in a 20x20x20 inch bag and a backpack, except for the bike (a CAAD9 I recently got off Craigslist for $700, MSRP: $1599.99 new).

I'm trying to determine whether to keep it in case if there are any roadie clubs in Amherst, otherwise I'd just use it as a ride around bike since Amherst College is tiny enough to walk through. It would be locked in my dorm when idle.
Last edited by HappyGarret on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mfi

Post by mfi »

Buy a used vehicle, move, and then sell the vehicle at you destination. You may even be able to turn a profit....

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Nice bike will probably get stolen on a college campus. I'd buy a beater when you get there.

If you must bring the bike, consider Amtrak. From what I can tell, for 300, you can do a train from fort. lauderdale to new york, then new york to amherst. They'll let you take a bike and provide a box for a fee:

http://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

If you play the credit card rewards game, you might be able to get rail points and bring the cost of the ticket down, maybe even make it free. Amtrak's got a card with lots of points as a signing / use bonus. Starwood Guest Rewards offers another, and their points can be converted to Amtrak points.

Chad

Post by Chad »

I would definitely go Amtrak. Right now it's barely more expensive than the bus (around $140) and it is ten times more comfortable. The coach seats are like flying first class. You can carry on 2 bags each weighing 50lbs for no extra cost. Plus, you have a power outlet and free wi-fi on most trains. This is the only way I travel from DC to NYC. I like it way better than flying even if you remove the fact that its cheaper.

Chad

Post by Chad »

And you might even get your bike on Amtrak for cheap.

http://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard