taking the bus for trips.

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
leeholsen

taking the bus for trips.

Post by leeholsen »

thought i would pass this along as an idea to save money on trips.

i recently started taking the bus on short trips.

from houston, we have this thing called the megabus(but its nationwide) and there is also greyhound.

the good thing about buses now is that megabus and i believe all greyhound buses now have free wifi, so you really miss out on nothing if you can spare the time over flying and its much better than driving.

for instance, i'm in houston and a can take a round trip to new orleans for about $60 that drop me off right in the french quarter which is where'd you most likely go if visiting new orleans. it would cost me twice that in gas if i drove and i might save an hour and flying is 3 times more.

another perk is you save the miles on your car.

you can take one suitcase too.

and if where youre going, you still neeed a car, you can always rent one and take a cab to the rental and back to the bus stop.

its really great, there's not much room to actually use a laptop; but you can use your iphone and charge it during the ride as each row has charing outlets. you can also read if you want.

i've only gone to new orleans twice so far, but if sure beat making the drive and saving 1/2 the gas money over driving; but will propbably go to dallas, san antone and austin on it in the fall.

i only wished i lived in the northeast as i'm sure there's a lot more trips available there.

DutchGirl

Re: taking the bus for trips.

Post by DutchGirl »

I've used the greyhound a couple of times when I was in the US. Safe, cheap and fun.

I recently looked at train travel through Europe (Eurail); which is also pretty cheap; the boyfriend and I should do a holiday by train someday. (This year, we're going to an island of the Netherlands, about 1.5 hours driving away from home). We also have busses; Eurolines is the biggest one allowing travel all through Europe.

dot_com_vet

Re: taking the bus for trips.

Post by dot_com_vet »

I've taken both Greyhound and Megabus.

On one trip, our Megabus driver was texting and driving! We did make it on piece to our destination, though.

I'd say Greyhound is more professional, and they also have real stations.