Never again...

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
disconnected

Post by disconnected »

I just PAID OFF our family vehicle. New cars are such a rip. It is going to be so nice to not have that payment leeching our funds every month! :) From here out we will only purchase used vehicles.
This is the part where freedom starts to be reclaimed... Exciting stuff!

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

Awesome! It's a great feeling! We are never buying new again either. (I had already had that experience once and decided that, but my husband wanted to buy a new car. He's now on board with me too.)
Congrat again!!!

BeanHead

Post by BeanHead »

Congrats on that final payment!
My car is paid off (a GENEROUS gift I received after college graduation so I'd have something reliable for years). I plan on keeping that thing until the tires fall off. I refuse to get involved in car payments. My family always bought used growing up and we never had a problem except for one car.

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Congratulations, that is an awesome feeling!

djc

Post by djc »

I know I'm in the minority but we always buy new cars and run them forever and ever. We still have a 1998 Honda CR-V (15 years old) that runs great with 150k miles on it. We need it for snowy weather. We also have a subcompact we use for any trips we take.
djc

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

I'm like you, djc. I've found that in the car range I tend to buy (low-end Hondas or Toyotas), if I find a good sale on a new one without all the extra bells and whistles (usually a loss-leader sale, and I don't need or miss any of the extras)that it's a better deal for me than a couple years old car (that usually was sold to some sucker with $3,000 worth of extras, so that the resale price is almost the same as my new "stripped" car).

For instance - my current ride is a 2009 Toyota Matrix, stick shift, plain jane (does have air conditioning though - a first for me!). I bought it at a loss-leader sale, no extras, for about $16,500. I figure, buying that new, and maintaining it well, and driving it for 200k, is as good or better a deal as buying used.

frugaladventurer

Post by frugaladventurer »

Bought for cash, of course

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

My current philosophy is to buy new and drive for 20+ years. It's really about total cost of ownership.
I've bought used cars in the past when I was driving a ton of miles. That's a bad combination. I regret doing that, as all savings is lost when you're paying someone $70 - $80/hour + parts markup to do major repairs every few months.

spoonman

Post by spoonman »

Congrats, disconnected! I paid my car off a couple of years ago (I had a 6% loan on it) and it felt great to get that monkey off my back. It's an awesome milestone.

Felix

Post by Felix »

Congrats! Both on the final payment and on the decision to never do that deal again. ;-)

disconnected

Post by disconnected »

Thanks for all of the replies! Its already feeling like a huge burden has been lifted from my shoulders.
I'm planning to attack my mortgage next, or possibly relocate to a new homestead that is more fitting to my vision of an ERE lifestyle. I will keep you all posted on that journey when it begins. :)