Transportation Survey

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
DividendGuy

Re: Transportation Survey

Post by DividendGuy »

I sold my car back in mid-2011 and haven't really looked back. It's tough to get around in a smaller city like the one I live in (about 50k people).

I use the bus for most of my transportation needs. I also have a 49cc scooter for local errands and also for times when the bus is late or doesn't show up. That way I can get to work on time.

This combination has worked fabulously for the last 2+ years.

leeholsen

Post by leeholsen »

just adding my experience.

i have an suv and i did the math a few yrs ago on costs of owning a car and the best kind of car to own
is some gas or diesel car like a civic of VW that gets 40 mpg over anything else for gas and maintenance costs.

i tried to pull the trigger on doing that but i couldnt, i like my suv too much; this is actually the 3rd one i have bought(2000-2004 jeep grand cherokee, fits me like an old pair of jeans) and probably last one i'll buy as getting one 5 yrs from now with less than 75K miles probably wont be possible.

workathome

Post by workathome »

If you need a car: 10-year old corolla, do your own maintenance. Reliable, numerous cheap parts.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Detente

Post by Detente »

I've been car-free for a few months now. I live in the Washington, D.C. area and take the Metro to work. My employer subsidizes that cost. We also have a bike-share network which is really great. It's a $70-ish/year membership, and all rides between bike stations under 30 minutes are free. I also have a personal bike that I sometimes use for commuting. I can get by without a car, but I do miss having one. I'm thinking of finding something super cheap (i.e., under $4,000) and going with a pay-per-mile insurance plan. I really only was using my car on weekends and for road trips out of town.