Tesla Cars

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Chad

Re: Tesla Cars

Post by Chad »

Tesla is obviously overpriced based on normal valuation measures, but so was Amazon in the early 2000's. overpriced doesn't mean it won't go up.

anomie

Post by anomie »

point taken.

I just wanted to share the valuation of Tesla for the investors. It is the first valuation analysis I have ever seen.I should not have added that comment about being overpriced - was not even sure of term to use. I am not a stock investor, nor do I play one on tv.

Tesla is one of the sexiest companies out there, though. Rocket ships, electric cars, travel loops. oh my. Latest I heard in an ironic flip == Elon Musk took inspiration from Iron Man movie to build a new technology:
Elon Musk Goes Iron Man with 3D User Interface for Rockets
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/07/ ... or-rockets

workathome

Post by workathome »

lazyboy

Post by lazyboy »

@workathome: thanks! best video ever! still rofl :lol:

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

Fucking hell. I was scared of the Tesla train because it seems like it could just implode at any minute. Somehow after being at 160-170 for weeks it skyrocketed to 185 the last couple days. It's at about 181.75 after a fresh check now. It looked like it was already starting to go down after peaking around 171 or so and looked like it was going down to about 160 or so.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/09/tesla- ... s-hit-185/

workathome

Post by workathome »

The whole market went up with the taper off announcement. Instead of worrying about the price going up or down, you'd be better off learning about how to analyze and value companies, then deciding if you think something is undervalued, overvalued, etc. Or make a decision based on behavioral analysis. Or even technical (which seems to be similar to astrology imo). Doing the coin-flipping and emotion-buying/selling is a sure way to eventually lose a lot of money, though the gamble might pay off in the short run.

Chad

Post by Chad »

workathome wrote:Or even technical (which seems to be similar to astrology imo).
It's not astrology. No wild guesses, no faith, and no belief. Basically, technical analysis is trying to measure behavioral psychology. Obviously, it's an art and not a science.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Thanks. That makes sense, I was mostly thinking of reading into things like "heads and shoulders" which I thought were shown to have no statistical accuracy.

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

workathome wrote:Doing the coin-flipping and emotion-buying/selling is a sure way to eventually lose a lot of money, though the gamble might pay off in the short run.
I absolutely agree.

I did put Tesla on a watchlist earlier this year though. Then some stuff came up in my life and I kind of forgot about it and didn't ever get any. I knew it was going to go up. I didn't think it would go up this fast though.

Opportunities come and go. It can be a little frustrating when you miss out on an 8 bagger though.

workathome

Post by workathome »

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

Ya. I'm sure it will go down in some capacity pretty soon.

The future could be bright though. It may well be a decent long term stock after getting a little tumble out of the way pretty soon here.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

What if the financial goal of Tesla is to be bought out? How would that change one's perception of the current valuation?

workathome

Post by workathome »

@George - Good point! But who would be dumb enough to pay the current valuation (28 billion???) versus dropping the money to build their own internal devision?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

There have been plenty of dumb deals in this world. Maybe not on the scale of Tesla's valuation, but remember AOL/Time-Warner?

Seneca

Post by Seneca »

Down 10% earlier but enjoying a bit of a bounce.

http://quotes.wsj.com/TSLA?mod=inlineTicker%3f

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

Ya. I still think it's too stressful to hold. Maybe if it becomes more steady in the future. I don't really want to have it now though.

Jeez, -22 after hours also. After hours can be a little unstable but still.

vivacious

Post by vivacious »

And the implosion is here. Fell 25 points today. At 151.16 and then exactly 150 after hours.

workathome

Post by workathome »

So, we're back to half GM's market cap. Time to short again?

workathome

Post by workathome »

Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Musk is an unsung hero. Nearly no one I talk to knows who he is - its flooring. He has had an entrepreneurial spirit his entire life and will likely die days after he starts his last company. Fascinating dude and I would buy a Tesla in a heartbeat if I didn't think owning a car over >$25,000 was absolute nuts.