Decided to sell truck/motorcycle to pay off debt.....

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

So i have a truck, I love, I own, but COULD do with less. I have rental properties so it's nice to have a truck, but i could easily do with something smaller, older and cheaper. I can probably get $12,500 for my truck.
I have a motorcycle, again that I love, I own it out right, and only costs me $200/yr to keep on the road. It's a source of pleasure, but I LOATHE my job, and need to get out of there sooner than later. I can probably get $3,000 for the bike.
So I'll have $15,500. Ill hold onto $3000 for a new old suv and repairs, So i can drop debt by $12,500 (which is 41.4% of my total debt not counting mortgages). I could easily pay it all off in 2013.
Also my wife has to go back to work in sept, since her child care leave is up. Which if debt is paid off, will be an additional $1700/Bi monthly. Which I could then use to Save for a newer truck, which will be my last. I don't want to drive an old car for ever, I like the reliability of newer, and the next will be my last, but with her check i can very easily save and invest it. since we live with out it now.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I like the overall plan, but this statement...
> Which I could then use to Save for a newer

> truck, which will be my last.
Seems to contradict this statement:
> I don't want to drive an old car for ever,

> I like the reliability of newer
What makes you believe that 5, 10, or 20 years from now you won't be desiring another new(er) truck? What change in your life will make this your last new(er) truck?
I've tried several variations on a vehicle for towing/off-highway use plus seating 4-5 passengers.
The best compromise I've found is the 2009+ Subaru Outback (has another name outside the USA). The Outback can tow 2700 lbs with manual transmission and, when not towing, gets 24/30 mpg; ground clearance is 8". Year 2009 and up has the extra back seat legroom.
If you need 5000 lb towing capacity (e.g. race car on a trailer plus gear), then you automatically drop into <20 mpg highway... and an older Jeep Cherokee seems to do the overall best. Any pickup with real seating for 4 or 5 (not jumpseats) with 5000 lb towing capacity will not get more than 17 mpg (Ugh!).

FPMLLC

Post by FPMLLC »

The reason i'm not worried abot selling this one, is because it just has the jump seat, and i do need a crew cab. The miliage isn't too huge of a concern since I don't go far. I figure if i can find something to get me through, albeit a pain for a few years, Ill be ok. I actually just found an old passat TDI that gets 50 mpg, and to make it better i have 400 GALLONS of diesel fuel sitting in my yard, based on that I could drive 20K miles before every actually buying more fuel. Its not a truck, which will be difficult in the winter, as well as moving big things, but it's got a hitch so i can use a small trailer to move stuff, it won't be FUN, but between the fuel and insurance it will save me probably $250/mo.
The best part it the owner is looking to trade for a motorcycle, just like the one i have, so may be able to do something.
Now if i drive what ever i get for 3/4 years, i could save for a newer vehicle, i'd like a smaller pick up like a tacoma, or canyon, not great gas miiage but suits needs perfectly...but i say that now, i may get very used to having an almost zero fuel bill, and if i had to choose id rather spend 20K on stocks vs 20k on a truck...

henrik

Post by henrik »

The best compromise I've found is the 2009+ Subaru Outback (has another name outside the USA).
The Outback is the Outback at least in Europe as well. You can find similar price range, size and functionality in the Audi A6 Allroad and the Volvo XC70. At least the Outback and XC70 should age pretty well. I tried all three of them and opted for the latter, 4 years and 100K km old at the time, no complaints after two years. Strong enough to tow 2 horses in a trailer. Fuel consumption in normal conditions (without the horses!) ca 6L/100km or almost 40 mpg (manual diesel and reasonable driving technique).

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Sadly, we don't get a diesel XC70 in the USA... only the 6-cyl gas rated at 19/25 mpg and 3300 lbs towing.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

@henrik is right, the Allroad and XC70 are comparable. Also CUVs are slowly morphing into tall wagons, e.g. the new Ford Escape

http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/
Based on statistical and anecdotal evidence, the Subaru is likely to be the most reliable and durable.
BTW, Subaru makes a badass diesel boxer that sadly is not sold in the US:

http://www.boxerdiesel.com/legacy_outback/en/index.html

FPMLLC

Re: Decided to sell truck/motorcycle to pay off debt.....

Post by FPMLLC »

Wow, I just saw this and it was a flash back.

I ended up selling that truck and paying off all of my wives student debt. Great feeling. I bought a cheap $500 jeep that was great. I had to put some work into it, and was at a total of $1400 when I got rear ended. Their insurance company cut me a check for $3900, and I got to keep the jeep. I put it on Craigslist and got $1900 for it 40 minutes later.

I took that money, and a few bucks I had saved and bought a newer truck. I wanted to pay down house, but I use my truck for work, and it earns me money. I got a great deal, on a great truck, and I anticipate it lasting another 150k miles. And with the insurance pay off, and profit from sale, I didn't spend to much from savings.

All in all it worked out pretty well.