Finding bike on craigslist

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Jacob1234098

Post by Jacob1234098 »

Hi,
I know many people are experienced bikers on here. I am trying to save some money on gas and have also really taken to biking in general. I am trying to find a hybrid bike on craigslist (size 19"-21"). I am having such a hard time finding anything though. Road bikes are everywhere, but 'hybrid' seems to be a poorly defined search term. Also, it's really difficult to determine quality of components when you are buying a bike 5-15 years old, as the component names have changed.
What do you look for when buying a bike on craigslist?

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

I've been having the same experience trying to find a non-mainstream bike on craigslist. I've decided it's not worth my time at this point.
We have a lot of shops here, some that recondition used bikes. They may be a bit more cash, but I hope to get what I need in a few hours.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I ended up buying a used bike on eBay instead of Craigslist. eBay listings tend to be much more detailed and precise, and actually the prices were lower than local ads.

Ego

Post by Ego »

A lot of people don't actually know that a hybrid is called a hybrid. You might do a little research and discover a few of the good older hybrids then search their names. For instance, Specialized Crossroads.
Also, I like the SearchTempest which allows you to search all craigslists or several cities at a time. I used this to buy a very unusual folding bike from a guy in Silicone Valley who shipped it to me.

tac

Post by tac »

I agree that things can be mislabelled. I see a lot of stuff here listed as "road bike" that I would definitely consider to be hybrid. So if you aren't actually checking those road bike listings in detail, might want to take a look and see if your area is also full of people who think their hybrid is something else.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Well, my dream bike became available on Craiglist! I spotted it not really looking for it. Kind of shocked I found it.
It was $900 new, and I snagged it for $175. I spent 30 minutes adjusting it, and it's like new again.
I plan to sell the old bike for $150. So total cost to upgrade is $25. ;-) I guess the trick was to be patient.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Oldest and best trick in the book!
Instant gratification seeking consumer: $900

Patience and "selling to buy": $25

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Thanks, Jacob! ;-)

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

Dot_com_vet, Congrats on the new ride. I have to ask: "What was the bike?"
You did it well. My favorite find was a early 90's bianchi tsx road bike with campy ergo components. Bianchi's top of the line frame from the early 90's about $1400 new for frame alone. Incredible lugwork finished in full chrome with celeste (bianchi's green) over the main triangle.
Complete bike: $375

The rides, races and thrills she has given me: priceless.
For everything that is too expensive.......there is craigslist.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Wheatstate, it sounds like you found a smoking deal on Craigslist too. I love the look of Bianchi's.
I bought a loaded up Electra cruiser. My older Diamond Back mountain bike sold within 24 hours on craigslist, so indeed a $25 cost to "trade up".
I use the cruiser for exercise and getting some fresh air in the neighborhood. It much more comfortable, the mountain bike was giving me neck aches. I don't know how I took 1/2 day rides hunched over, ahh to be 20 something again.

wheatstate

Post by wheatstate »

Thanks for sharing, Dot_Com_Vet. Electra's are great and rarely come up used. The foot forward design allows extended leg position and still putting a foot down at stops. Often with fenders. These electra's are America's version of the 3-speed Raleigh's and European bikes that help Europeans ride in daily life.
You will be cruising in style all summer with a smile. Enjoy.

Jacob1234098

Post by Jacob1234098 »

Hey, I thought I'd post an update. I ended up buying a mountain bike. I decided it was a better fit for me than a hybrid. Anyways, a little patience later, I got this gem for $400. http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/bik/3065468767.html A $15 tune-up and it works like new. Apparently, it was a very nice bike back in the day. I got a lot of comments on it at the bike shop. Retailed for over $2700 back then, so I feel I got a good deal :D High-end (mostly XT) components. Should last forever. I might have to drop $200 at some point in the future to replace the air shock though :( Apparently, Santa Cruz is a small custom shop now, and that piece has a very specific fit. But overall, I think I came out on top.

chicago81

Re: Finding bike on craigslist

Post by chicago81 »

On the topic of bikes -

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to acquire a free or nearly free road bike? I don't really care how it looks or what features it has, as long as it is functional. Looking at the price of used bikes on craigslist for the Chicago area, it seems that most of the posting is spam and dealers trying to sell bikes for much more than I want to pay.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@chicago81 -

Chicago craigslist pretty much sucks. (OTOH sfbay's is awesome.)

Free roadbikes are hard to come by because being a roadbike it usually means a bike of some quality (compare to dep store mountain bikes), so if it's free it's typically nonfunctional. Furthermore, old road bikes have been the victims of the fixie-craze in which any $50 steel bike with horizontal dropouts (pretty much anything pre-1990) gets bought up, converted, and sold for $200ish.

That said, since you're in Chicago and since I have three bikes, which is two too many, I'm willing to sell you mine. It's a purple Schwinn Continental with dropbars converted to single speed (geared for city riding .. you can comfortably go 12-18mph). It has generator lights to avoid worrying about batteries. Also has a Pletscher rack and a built in kickstand. Much of the paint has flaked away and it has some spot rust on the rims, but nothing down-right ugly or compromising. Meant to get it painted but never got around to it. I got the bike for free and spent about $70 on components to get in to the shape it has today. Thus you can have it for $70 ... or $50 without the generator lights.

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/my-current-ride.html

Pictures in the link. I've subsequently wrapped the dropbars with black cork(?) tape and installed the gen. lights.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

@Jacob -

I'm very interested in your offer. That bike looks like it would work great for me. I don't think I want the generator lights, as I think it would just be a target for thieves.. but I'll buy the bike for $50. Let me know when it would be convenient for you, and I'll meet up with you to buy it. Unfortunately, I'm going to be out of town this weekend to visit some family, but I'm usually available most evenings and weekends.