Maybe kids aren't as brainwashed as we think

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

And another report noting the decrease in driving especially amongst Gen Y:
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... ore-report
"The ones really shifting their driving habits are people ages 16 to 34. The average young person, the report said, drove 20 percent fewer miles in 2009 than the average young person in 2001."

BeyondtheWrap

Post by BeyondtheWrap »

If GM wants to appeal to the young hipsters, they should start manufacturing bikes. Maybe even smart phones and gaming consoles while they're at it. Supply and demand, people.

tac

Post by tac »

I have been licensed to drive since my teens (currently early 30s). I used to own a car, which I bought used on CL. It eventually died, and I decided to see if I could live without it. I mostly rely on my bike or walking, occasionally use public transit, and have a zipcar membership. I do not live in a super walkable area or have access to fantastic public transit (we have a few bus lines, forget about big city amenities like a metro/subway). If I want to go away somewhere (say, camping), I will usually carpool with a friend who does own a car, and give them money for the gas. Or I take the train, if that is an option.
Right now, it works well. I don't know how well it would work if I had kids or a more demanding job (or both). I probably do spend an average of 2-3 hours each week extra in transit that I would not spend in transit if I were driving. Most of that is on the bike though, so I count it as less time I have to spend working out. So I don't know if I will buy a car again in the future. If I do have kids, I probably will try to facilitate their learning to drive early on, as I think in the US it is just one of those skills that is good to have, even if you rarely put it to use. If I were living somewhere with a longer history of public transit (i.e., Europe) I might be less inclined to think it was important.

Hoplite

Post by Hoplite »

Getting a license is important. If I had it to do over again, I'd go here:
http://attilaschoolofdriving.com/
Gain lifelong road confidence and overcome driving phobias or anxieties.