Hitchhiking?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Anyone hitchhike? Hitchhiking would be incredibly convenient and advantageous for me.
I often travel along a busy highway corridor. Multi-day parking is even more expensive (and annoying) than gas.
Such a shame that hitchhiking isn't really done anymore... Still I wonder if I could develop a strategy to do it safely and effectively.
Any thoughts or insights?... :)

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Hitchhiking (of a sort) is still done in certain areas:
http://www.ridenow.org/carpool/what.htm

http://slug-lines.com/Slugging/About_slugging.asp
If you're talking about a commute, maybe try to start one of those up?
Gotta love those (rare) occasions when a hot blonde drives up in a convertible and asks if I want a ride. Sure, she's just using me for the carpool lane, but I'll deal.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

Population, Craigslist, and internet community in general, is pretty sparse here. Meanwhile distances are vast and my schedule is not set (not for commuting)...
I can either drive (and park) or take the 1 bus a day. Costly and not as flexible as sticking my thumb out when the urge takes me. :)

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

Sorry, my brain got a disconnect associating expensive parking with a rural locale. Have you tried hitchhiking?

C40

Post by C40 »

I watched this series about two hitchhikers. I liked the show a lot. For someone who doesn't know anything about hitchhiking (like me), you can learn a fair amount from the show:
http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Thumb ... id=2361637

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

C40 ... or you could pick up hitchhikers.

C40

Post by C40 »

Yes EMJ. I don't drive all that much lately though.
I did go on a trip last weekend and almost picked one up. There are very few hitchhikers in Wisconsin

rachels

Post by rachels »

It's still done and my boyfriend and I use it while traveling. It is generally illegal on the interstates and on ramps, but it's still legal in many places on non-interstates. You can hitch interstates from the rest stops, for example, but you may be kicked off business properties if the folks who work there don't like it. Some places (Aspen, CO, San Juan Islands, WA, for example) have hitching stations marked by signs on the side of the road. Personally, we have had good luck in rural, liberal places especially those with long distance backpacking trails (as all the backpackers will be hitching to resupply). Vermont, Colorado, and Washington have all been good to us. On the other hand, it took us FOREVER to get from Jacksonville to Houston on I-10 through the southern states.
After the initial fun of a few long trips, the novelty really wore off. Unless you are prepared to sleep on the side of the road (which we are) or on the streets in big cities (which we are not), you'll probably wind up wasting money on cheap motel rooms or hostels. Likewise, we would wind up buying expensive food from gas stations or truck stops so we could thumb a ride or from coffee shops/restaurants so we could have a place to kill time after dark when it was no longer safe to hitch, but not late enough to stealth camp. We I added it up, it was almost always cheaper just to have bought a bus ticket.
For day trips, you'll have less hassle. You'll mainly just have to worry about how much time you will spend on the side of the road. Even though you may be worried about your safety, the vast majority of people will be terrified of you and would never dream of picking you up. I have put my thumb out as a lone 130 lb. woman, and no one has pulled over for hours. If you have the time to wait, you ought to just try it. Some places are much easier than others and it's hard to know until you try.
If you can take a craigslist rideshare, though, it is often easier, faster, and cheaper.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

OK, I have some knowledge in this area and I have to say it. It is not a good idea to travel alone. And that applies to all travel--hitchhiking, driving, backpacking, whatever. If you do not have a traveling companion then you should find a way to travel with other people if possible. Public transportation is preferable to hitchhiking or driving alone. This applies to recreational travel as well. It's always better to hike, boat, or bike with a group.
Using rideshare websites or craigslist to find a carpool is great. Just make sure that a friend or family member has the contact information of the person you are riding with. And if you are driving alone when commuting or traveling (like heading to Kentucky to build tumbleweeds) offer up a ride so you are not traveling alone. But again, even though you are the one choosing the companion you should still share their information with someone.
End of public service announcement.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

In my area, min 50% of cars are going to the nearest big city, which is also my destination. There is also a steady stream of traffic.
I would agree that a travel partner is ideal, but again not practical... Craigslist wouldn't work either, but perhaps I could fins some kind of network.
1 negative experience with a wierdo, or group of drunks (turning down ride after someone pulls over would be awkward), would likely make the entire experience not worth it.
Maybe I'll just have to get used to LONG bike rides... It would pay me about $1 per mile.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

"Using rideshare websites or craigslist to find a carpool is great. Just make sure that a friend or family member has the contact information of the person you are riding with. "
Some people text the license plate (or a photo of the car) to a friend before getting in.

C40

Post by C40 »

jennypenny - what's so bad about driving somewhere by yourself?

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@dragoncar: texting a photo of the license, great idea.
@C40: In my case, $20-$30 gas and up to $224 in parking. :\

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

@c40 I was just addressing the personal safety aspect. There are many variables in determining how safe you are driving--time of day, location, vehicle, gender--but you significantly reduce your chances of being victimized in all situations by traveling with a companion.

dragoncar

Post by dragoncar »

One alternative is to be the aggressor. When they pull over, carjack them. Then you have free transportation to your destination of choice.

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

@dragon: LOL, preemptive strike!
@jeff: sounds great, I wish it was [still?] like that everywhere.

rachels

Post by rachels »

I say if time is not an issue, go out and stick your thumb out. Bring a snack and some water for the wait(s) and some weather appropriate clothes in case you get dumped out (or want to be dumped out) somewhere you're not expecting. Very obviously calling or texting someone with some details of your situation also never hurts. Really, the only time I've been afraid while hitch hiking is when I rode with drivers that drove recklessly. I have had the same criticism of rideshares. Although, I think I drive them just as crazy by hypermiling at 10 miles below the speed limit.

rachels

Post by rachels »

Also, here is a guide to hitchhiking put together by a fellow couchsurfer and pedicabber here in Austin. I don't necessarily follow all his recommendations, but it's food for thought.
http://www.vagablogging.net/the-complet ... .html#hide

JohnnyH

Post by JohnnyH »

I've done this a few times now and have had some success... I've had the most success directly at the airport, with a sign.
Airport is good for a couple reasons;

*people can see I most likely just got off a flight and am not a derelict

*most people who go to the airport are on a mission other than murdering strangers

*it's a regional airport and consists of more than just local traffic
The only real failure I had was when an eager nice family misread my sign and dropped me off only a few miles up the road. Then I was in the danger zone(!), but literally the fist car I showed my sign to was a college age girl who looked apprehensive but stopped.
She probably shouldn't have(!), not something I'd want a young female relative to do, but we parted friends.

akratic

Post by akratic »

My girlfriend and I hitchhiked once for fun. It was pretty exhilarating and we got picked up quick. Our ride dubbed us "yuppie hitch hikers". I could see it getting old after a while.