Strategy for Urban Biking

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
7Wannabe5

Strategy for Urban Biking

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I have recently moved to a small city completely surrounded by the city of Detroit. I very much like my neighborhood. It is very diverse and interesting, lots of little markets, immigrants from all over, old houses with tiny yards and flower boxes full of bright annuals. My address gets an 85 for Walkability.

My problem is that in order to meet two of my basic requirements for my lifestyle which are access to a zipcar when needed for business purposes and spending time in wide expanse of nature, I have to ride my bike for a couple miles through neighborhoods which are ranked in the top 20 of most dangerous in the nation. I don't usually view my life as a video game, but if you can imagine one in which a middle-aged version of Rainbow Brite is making her way on a bike through a post-zombie apocalypse urban environment that would fairly accurately describe the situation.

What I have done so far:

1) Attempted to find alternate routes with little success.

2) Ordered some slime tubes.

3) Paid the kid who does bike repair in a nearby odds and ends market $20 to totally tune up my bike (Trek 7100.)

4) Made new rule which is that I don't have to stop for stop signs in an environment where zombies might roam if I can see that there is no traffic.

Other things I could do but don't want to because expensive, inconvenient and/or demoralizing:

1) Get a car.

2) Use the bus system which has bike racks to get through these zones.

3)Train one of my sister's Australian Cattle dogs (I share an apartment with my sister and her 3 dogs) to run next to my bike.

4) Dress myself and decorate my bike in a manner that will make me look crazy as well as harmless.

Suggestions?

Ego

Re: Strategy for Urban Biking

Post by Ego »

Bad neighborhoods are quite safe in the morning just after dawn.

workathome

Post by workathome »

As an emergency event response, you might consider a handgun, CPL, and good firearms training (note: the CPL class does not qualify as good firearms training!)

These do qualify:

http://trainmdfi.com/courses/ysintg/
http://trainmdfi.com/courses/foundation-handgun/

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Slime doesn't prevent flats. It just turns them into a more drawn out process unless the hole is really small. If the hole is larger, you will run out of air, and it'll be impossible to patch the tube since slime keeps coming out.

I love these (in a strictly platonic manner) http://mrtuffy.com/product-line.html
I've had exactly one flat on nearly 10000 miles and that was from running over something that resembled a miniature caltrop.

Oh yeah, and very few cyclists (and pedestrians) respect stop signs in an urban environment. It annoys the @$@$ out of me, but that is reality.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

+1 for Mr Tuffy. There are also tires that have built in flat protection though I haven't tried them. Example: http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/943

Replacing tires before they are completely worn out can also help to avoid flats. I tend to get flat when the tires are the thinnest.

I only know about bikes so I have no advice other than if you flat just ride it out. Better to need a new rim than to get shot. Good luck and be safe.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

+1 on traveling mid morning, there are plenty of places I feel totally comfortable about when it's day light that I wouldn't like to ride through at night.

Instead of firearms, what about just pepper spray? That should work long enough for you to get away.

Be able to outrun someone if something happens to your bike?

Also you might get used to it and not feel as dangerous after awhile. I lived in a very bad hood in college and survived, it changed my perspective.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Ego said: Bad neighborhoods are quite safe in the morning just after dawn.
Right. I was trying to take this and other factors into consideration to do a sort of cost/benefit/risk analysis. If a neighborhood is ranked as very dangerous that means that a person who lives in that neighborhood has a 1 in 7 chance of being the victim of a violent crime in the course of a year. Most victims of violent crimes are not strangers to their assailant. Most violent crimes take place after dark. A person who lives in a neighborhood would likely be there for about 16 hours of any given day. If I have to travel 2 miles through the neighborhood, I am only there for maybe 10 minutes. Etc.etc.
workathome said: As an emergency event response, you might consider a handgun, CPL, and good firearms training (note: the CPL class does not qualify as good firearms training!)
On my toughest day, I might rise one Wheaton level from Rainbow Brite towards Wonder Woman but even then I am unlikely to carry/use any weapon more violent than magic lasso. Besides I do not believe there is any level of training in any realm which will render "fight" a good option for me vs. urban youth.
Jacob said: I've had exactly one flat on nearly 10000 miles and that was from running over something that resembled a miniature caltrop.

Oh yeah, and very few cyclists (and pedestrians) respect stop signs in an urban environment. It annoys the @$@$ out of me, but that is reality.
Okay, I will get the Mr. Tuffy's instead. There is glass all over the place so that seems like a better option.

I am usually extremely law-abiding in this regard but the streets of Detroit are kind of unique because they are so empty. I should have written " I don't have to stop for stop signs BECAUSE I can see that there is no traffic." For instance, yesterday I was on this super-wide 5 lane stretch of concrete that goes past a giant abandoned auto plant. There was nobody on the road with me except for a teenager wearing bright green underwear on his low-rider bicycle and he was just going right down the middle of the left lane. The stop signs on this roadway were put in place when the factory was productive and now they are just non-functional artifacts. I read somewhere that some expert ranked Detroit as the 8th best city to bike in the world due to the fact that there are so many of these stretches of flat roadway with very few cars.
Gilberto de Piento said: Replacing tires before they are completely worn out can also help to avoid flats. I tend to get flat when the tires are the thinnest.

I only know about bikes so I have no advice other than if you flat just ride it out. Better to need a new rim than to get shot. Good luck and be safe.
Okay, I'll do that too. I'm saving a lot of money by not owning/operating a car and living in a very cheap neighborhood so a little bit of extra expense to solve this transportation problem is acceptable.
J_L13 said: Instead of firearms, what about just pepper spray? That should work long enough for you to get away.

Be able to outrun someone if something happens to your bike?

Also you might get used to it and not feel as dangerous after awhile. I lived in a very bad hood in college and survived, it changed my perspective.
Unfortunately, I do not think it is likely that I could outfight or outrun any likely assailant because I would be biologically old enough to be his grandmother. Probably, I am down to something like "Here is my backpack. Would you like some cookies too?"

I am certain that I will get used to it. I used to spend weekends in a very bad neighborhood with an old BF. Biking alone in such an environment is the new experience. I'm just thinking I should try to be get as smart as possible about it while I do still have the fear to motivate me.

workathome

Post by workathome »

The other measures are more practical and should definitely be done first.

I understand if you're not comfortable, did want to point out a handgun certainly isn't about toughness! You wouldn't be starting a conflict, getting in a fight, etc - it's a last resort, extreme emergency measure only used rape, murder, inability to escape, etc. (e.g. think a tourniquet, which I do carry in my first aid kit everywhere). Popular media associates it with toughness, but reality is that it is more ready a tool for the weak or fearful to equalize force against a stronger, more determined aggressor. For example, the old quote "God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal," it represents the only way a little-old-lady could realistically protect herself from a young, strong male.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I lived in Detroit, at Seward St. and Second ave. during the race riots in 1967. Even at the height of the disturbances, you could go there safely in daylight hours. After nightfall was dangerous.

Hamtramck. Was always a mystery neighborhood to me. Supposed to be working class immigrant back in the day. It was pretty clean and neat when driving through. I was raised in Grosse Pointe, and so, I guess, I felt "above" places like that in that unconscious manner that such attitudes are passed on.

If there's no herds of guys on the corner, it should be okay to ride by. The herds are the flash points, IMHO.

I just checked Google street view, and it shows older well kept neighborhoods. I wouldn't worry about it in daylight hours.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I wear a reflective vest when commuting. You could get one of these. It seems to be purposely designed to confuse.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

workathome said: I understand if you're not comfortable, did want to point out a handgun certainly isn't about toughness! You wouldn't be starting a conflict, getting in a fight, etc - it's a last resort, extreme emergency measure only used rape, murder, inability to escape, etc. (e.g. think a tourniquet, which I do carry in my first aid kit everywhere). Popular media associates it with toughness, but reality is that it is more ready a tool for the weak or fearful to equalize force against a stronger, more determined aggressor. For example, the old quote "God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal," it represents the only way a little-old-lady could realistically protect herself from a young, strong male.
Oh, I'm not entirely opposed to the possibility. My Ex taught me how to shoot and care for a gun and I know a couple young women who have concealed weapon permits. I just don't like guns and I don't enjoy shooting and I have very little interest in getting further training or maintaining such skills. I'm not going to confine myself to the house doing needlepoint but even with other objections put aside, I would probably rate taking the bus as less of a hassle than carrying a gun.

Also, on the level of "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself" , I would feel more fearful if I thought I needed to carry a gun because a few people are inclined towards very bad behavior than if I thought I didn't because the vast majority of people are inclined towards amiable behavior. That is why I am like Rainbow Brite.
Tommy Tebco said: I lived in Detroit, at Seward St. and Second ave. during the race riots in 1967. Even at the height of the disturbances, you could go there safely in daylight hours. After nightfall was dangerous.

Hamtramck. Was always a mystery neighborhood to me. Supposed to be working class immigrant back in the day. It was pretty clean and neat when driving through. I was raised in Grosse Pointe, and so, I guess, I felt "above" places like that in that unconscious manner that such attitudes are passed on.

If there's no herds of guys on the corner, it should be okay to ride by. The herds are the flash points, IMHO.
I do feel safe enough in Hamtramck. The problem is biking from Hamtramck either down to the river front or to the New Center/Wayne State University area. The only herd of guys I have encountered seemed to consist of Bosnian immigrants over the age of 40 engaged in some combination of money lending and/or pickle barrel gossip so that wasn't very scary. Mostly what I have biked through is scary like a ghost town where some lone wolf might lope out from behind a burnt out building or the high grass.

I was born in Detroit in 1965 but my parents kept moving westward and eventually landed in Ann Arbor. My maternal great-grandparents were Polish immigrants who landed in Hamtramck so I have a bit of a sentimental attraction to the area. My paternal great-grand-father was the Treasurer of the City of Detroit so I also feel a bit of an obligation to do my small part to help with the bankruptcy. So, I plan to buy some property being auctioned off for back taxes.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Ego said: I wear a reflective vest when commuting. You could get one of these. It seems to be purposely designed to confuse.
I like it. Would be kind of like making myself look crazy but not so demoralizing.

sky

Post by sky »

Hamtown to Midtown to Downtown should be pretty safe during the morning/day.

I would be as concerned about riding a bike on bike-unfriendly SE MI suburban streets as in the big bad city.

It is certainly going to be a challenge to live without a car in the Motor City.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

sky said: I would be as concerned about riding a bike on bike-unfriendly SE MI suburban streets as in the big bad city.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I am especially concerned about crossing over expressway off and on ramps although it might be the case that driveways with too much greenery are the true worst danger. Poorly manicured shrubs on a suburban estate just don't immediately strike me as scary as a house with an open blackened doorway with a half-burnt mattress hanging out and expletives spray-painted above or something that has the appearance of a road-kill rat in my path. It's funny how our minds can trick us that way.

tommytebco

Post by tommytebco »

I didn't realize that you were a woman when I posted the first reply.
I have to say that you get +10 points for "metaphysical cojones" !! Good for you!!
I think that morning should be okay almost anywhere. It's the night time that's the wrong time!!

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

tommytebco said: I didn't realize that you were a woman when I posted the first reply.
I have to say that you get +10 points for "metaphysical cojones" !! Good for you!!
Thanks. I had so much fun biking like a fiend through the mean streets in the pouring rain this morning!! I know, I know, water is not good for the bike but I am happy because I'm not afraid anymore.

Next challenge will be biking out of the city and up the coast.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Thanks. I had so much fun biking like a fiend through the mean streets in the pouring rain this morning!! I know, I know, water is not good for the bike but I am happy because I'm not afraid anymore.
Congrats on your ride! Rain is probably your friend if you're worried about crime.

Rain is really not so bad for a bike. The main thing is to keep the chain lubed and replace the cables when they get sticky. I like this chain lube but whatever your bike shop sells that is intended for all weather conditions/mountain biking will stay on in wet weather:http://www.rocklube.com/extreme.htm