Cheapest way to move my modest amount of stuff to a new city?

Live local, get around without breaking the bank
TopHatFox

Cheapest way to move my modest amount of stuff to a new city?

Post by TopHatFox »

I'll be moving from Amherst to a city-suburb near New York City. I currently own 10 books, just a twin mattress with sheets + a comforter, two large tapestries, a casual wardrobe, a dressy wardrobe, a chair, a table-desk, will have just one bicycle and possibly a two-wheeled bicycle trailer, a broom/mop/duster/iron/small ironing board, a messenger bag, a few pots and pans, and I will have a small camping backpack full of camping gear.

I was thinking of fitting all this stuff in a van and driving there. The question then becomes what van. Maybe:

1. Uhaul?
2. Zipcar?
3. Using one of my college's vans if available?
4. Hiring a moving service? (probably the most expensive and ridicolous)
5. Getting rid of all of the largest stuff and just moving my stuff in two or three suit cases
6. Maybe just organizing my stuff into a few boxes and shipping them via USPS and then shipping myself via bus

rfgh

Re: Cheapest way to move my modest amount of stuff to a new city?

Post by rfgh »

When I move I fit everything into a few Soylent boxes (that I start keeping a few months prior), and my PC case and monitor boxes, desk and chair, and folded bed frame and twin mattress. I easily put it all in a $19.95 van. If I didn't have the furniture I'd grab an Uber, Greyhound, or Amtrak, but I've decided I can afford to live luxuriously.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

It's a 3 hour drive. Rent a van or a truck. Note that one-way rent rates tend to be >> roundtrip. Thus, if you get rid of some of your bulkier stuff, you might even be able to hitch/pay for a ride to NYC from a fellow student going home to visit family. Somewhere on campus there's probably a pinboard to put up notes for such requests?

All of them (except 4) will be cheap, so I would be looking more at the hassle factor of moving vs ditching+reacquiring. Do you already have a place in NYC? Alternatively, you can also put your crap in storage for a month while you're looking.

bryan

Post by bryan »

In some circumstances, it may be best to research to see if there are any arbitrages you could do as part of the move. For instance, you could buy a van in most places in the US and sell it for a premium in CA. Just be sure to consider transaction costs..

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

does everything besides furniture fit in Olaz' suitcase? if so, trash existing furniture and buy new at target location. brute basically does this every time he moves, often much cheaper than hauling it.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

You can move a crazy amount via Amtrak with a regular ticket.

If you ditched the mattresse and furniture probably everything on your list

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

BRUTE wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:32 pm
does everything besides furniture fit in Olaz' suitcase? if so, trash existing furniture and buy new at target location. brute basically does this every time he moves, often much cheaper than hauling it.
This is what I was thinking too. You can get furniture for free in many places as long as you're not picky. Also, do you really need a desk at your apartment now that you'll have an office and a desk at work?

Also, consider swapping the mattress for a Japanese style futon.

Miss Lonelyhearts

Post by Miss Lonelyhearts »

Dissent from all but Jacob's advice. My cost to move a greater volume of stuff a greater distance (Chicago to central Ohio) was about $400 plus fuel (Uhaul). Running around and reacquiring all the basic furniture and tools of apartment life is a waste of time and resources.

The smallest Uhaul options are likely to be pick up and cargo van. The van gets slightly better mileage and is a bit bigger side to side. Exact dimensions on the website - measure your stuff.

Edit: if you go the Uhaul route and need moving boxes, go to the grocery store and ask for banana boxes. The produce guys will know what you're talking about.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I used minivans from car rental companies (e.g. Enterprise) for several of these bachelor/minimalist sorts of moves. The Dodge/Chrysler minivans have "stow-and-go" seats that fold flat so you can fit a large amount of cargo in there, and the rental company is none the wiser. You can rent one for 24 or 48 hours on a low weekend rate, and they get relatively good fuel economy, so this is usually a lot cheaper than a UHaul-type truck.

As mentioned upthread, they charge a punitive fee for one-way rentals, so if you have time, it's usually cheaper to make a round trip in the van to move your possessions, then move yourself some other way.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

uHaul if it is more than 3+ hours. Saves you time and energy in the long haul honestly.

Or what KevinW suggested.

But honestly, these kind of moves are something where you can't really skimp on a vehicle and finding furniture is such a pain in the fucking ass and expensive as well, easily.

vexed87

Post by vexed87 »

I'm moving this week, van hire has cost me £65 for a long wheel base van, plus cost of fuel, which isn't much as new house is 1.5 miles away. We have spent 3 days donating and recycling possessions, mostly bought before concept of ERE was discovered. I can see why people pay others to pack, because it's boring me to tears, 2 days to go! Still, it's all good motivation not to fill the new house with new junk.

If you have a modest amount of stuff, a minivan would probably be fine, we have to move two sofas, two bed frames and mattresses, clothes, kitchen equipment, electronics and other assorted sentimental paraphernalia, I think it's going to take a couple of trips.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Cool, I think the minivan option sounds the most fitting. Now to figure out how to rent one: what's the best rent-a-car company you folks have used in the states? I believe I have Enterprise, Zipcar, and a local company in my starting location.

TheWanderingScholar

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Personally have not used, my family has used Enterprise, have not had any trouble with them.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

@Olaz - Ask all the big ones. Uhaul, Enterprise, Ryder, Penske, Budget. For a 6 hour round trip, you might even be able to rent one from Home Depot if you're adventurous?

Prices may differ widely depending on availability and location. It's like buying a plane ticket. It's an demand/supply commodity.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

When I was young, you had to be 24 (or 25?) to rent a car. Not sure of Olaz's age or if this is still a requirement. Worth looking into so you don't get waylaid at the last minute.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I used to like Alamo and Dollar, but all these companies are about the same.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

@Olaz, this may be a stupid question, but do you have a credit card? I only ask because many young people feel that debit cards are sufficient. Rental companies generally require a credit card.

If that hurdle's crossed, keep in mind that the base (advertised) rental cost will have a lot of items added on. If you don't own a car and therefore have no auto insurance, you'll be pressured to add on the rental company's insurance at some ridiculous cost. Despite the ridiculous cost factor, you're taking the chance of a big loss if you have no coverage and get into an accident. Just call me Mrs. Sunshine. :(

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

credit card and 700+ credit ratings :D

Insurance is definitely worth it I think, the financial downside for crashing is massive ($500 - 10K+ possibly)

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

Enterprise

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Olaz wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 pm
... the financial downside for crashing is massive ($500 - 10K+ possibly)
If you crash into someone, you can add two zeros after those numbers.