Final Room Selection! Help me choose?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
TopHatFox

Final Room Selection! Help me choose?

Post by TopHatFox »

Alright, I've been looking for places for about 2 weeks now. Here are the finalists to decide for this Friday:

1. North Broadway, White Plains. $750/mo all included. Safe Area. House share. House in excellent condition. 4.3 miles from work. 1.6 miles from the Shuttle to the Office. 2-3 miles from groceries. One mom at one end of the house, and one engineer and me in the other end of the house. Engineer travels very often and mother is rarely there. Full kitchen. Backyard with patio. Visitors and guests A-OK.

2. Main Street, White Plains. $1075/mo all included. Safe Area. 4th floor apartment share. Apartment in excellent condition. Huge place with potential for 3 people, but landlord does not allow it. 3 miles from work. 1 mile from Shuttle to the Office. 1-2 miles from groceries. One young professional living the apartment, great guy. Full kitchen. Visitors and guests A-OK.

3. Main Street, White Plains. $1000/mo all included. Safe Area. 3rd floor apartment share. Apartment in excellent condition. 3 miles from work. 1 mile from shuttle to the Office. 1-2 miles from groceries. One business owner in the apartment, and mom and dad (owners) stay in the apartment once a week to fix things/check-in with the place. Visitors and guests OK.

4. West Harrison, White Plains. $700/mo all included. Safe Area. 2nd floor house. House in good condition, but a bit shabby. 2 miles from work. 1-2 miles from groceries. Spanish-speaking Mom, Dad, Daughter, and very small dog in apartment. Daughter works all the time, didn't ask about parents. Kitchen access. Visitors and guests tricky.

----------------------

Have at it! Which place is best?

For context, I'm getting a Xootr push scooter + a touring bike/trailer. I tend to have 1 or at max 2 quiet people over. I may want to do extra work on evenings or weekends. I have a complimentary gym right next to the Office.

-------------------------

@James, to confirm is North Broadway a safe place?

James_0011

Re: Final Room Selection! Help me choose?

Post by James_0011 »

Yes its a safe place, I wouldn't worry about safety anywhere in white plains.

C40

Post by C40 »

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

1 or 2.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I would pick 1
I like having some outside space.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Jean

Post by Jean »

wood

Post by wood »

1 no doubt

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

1 seems like a great option

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Whichever is left by the time you get there? Maybe turnover in White Plains is slow?

In Chicago, everything listed would pretty much be gone the next day. Eventually we figured out that the best strategy was to be willing to sign a lease on the spot if we liked some place enough.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Cool. I chose option 1. I managed to negotiate the price down to $700/mo using #4 as leverage. I also asked for a 6 month lease, so that I can be open to looking for a cheaper/better place during the market lull in Jan-Feb.

Now to get an AC van for free or an Enterprise van for $80.