Let's find Z a nice room to live in? #motivationthread

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Jean

Re: Let's find Z a nice room to live in? #motivationthread

Post by Jean »

I don't remember if you lived in a van before.
But for guests, you can take them to places around white plains, and cook outside there. I don't know the area at all. But from google map, it looks like you might have plenty of nice place within a few miles range. This solves the cloth problem. But anyway, If you store them properly, unless you only cook fried fish and bacon or molten cheese, I don't see how it could be a problem.
Concerning the winter, get a good sleeping bag, and sleep with some windows open to avoid moisture to accumulate.
If you never drive, it could become a problem. But If you drive a little bit every day, your car ventilation will dry it very quickly.
You'll get used to cold and warm. As far as I know, we belong to the same specie, so you're body should be able to cope with it.

Concerning the facade, I don't know. I don't feel discriminated since I live in a car. Every one is nice about it including cops. But I don't have to work.
I think I never had a facade to begin with and It was hard to get a job, and it would still be hard now. But living in a van doesn't restrict your hability to cut your hairs and wear clean clothes. I don't know how it would be around white plains. I don't know the cop culture there.

Finding a cheap vehicle adapted for this might be long, and you don't know the area yet.
What I would do if I where you, is start with renting, and while looking for a van, go on bike tours all around the area to look for nice places to park. Both downtown and in nearby forest, or along the shores of lake and rivers around. Try to know how the cop are there. Try to know what youre coworker will think of it.
This should help you to know if you want to live in a van around white plains. But I moved in my car because It looked easier than staying in my house or renting an appartment.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Why not buy a travel trailer and park it in a mobile home park? All these van-conversions seem like they are driven by a combination of fashion and a cheaper way to get a class-B RV (and sell it again after the adventure is done). However, you won't be driving the thing around, so why put a motor in your home?

1) This problem would be solved with a TT. They have AC.
2) Also solved with a TT. They have heaters ... but winter is going to cost you a lot of propane (see 7wb5 Take-3 thread). Also, they have toilets and showers.
3) Problem solved if you pay $300-500/month in a mobile home park. It's also possible you can get 6 month leases in a regular campground.
4) You don't talk about it. They don't care, or they may be slightly curious. If you buy an old airstream, you might even get street cred.
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/rvs/6172945124.html However, I've observed that many twenty-something finance types figure themselves to be ballers and thus like to go out and eat and post their food on social media several times a week. This would be less convenient if you live in the sticks. This could have some influence on your relation to your colleagues. (This is a standard frugal problem i.e. "all my friends always want to go out and blow $50 on a meal, how do I ... ")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJhYCPnmjfU (the front kitchenette folds down into a second bed)

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

It gets really really cold in white plains in the winter...

Jean

Post by Jean »

Cold really isn't a problem.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

I find that really hard to believe. Have you ever slept in a car in the northeast of the US in the winter? I have, and I don't see how it would be tolerable as a permanent living situation.

Okay I see in your other thread you slept in 14 F at the coldest, it will for sure get colder than that in White Plains in the winter.

Jean

Post by Jean »

Never, but I had minus 15°C this winter, and camped by minus 30°C a few years earlier.
At minus 30°C, i had a good sleeping bag.
But for minus 15°C a duvet was enough.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

If I find a camp ground within biking or bus distance, that' sounds cool too. Google Maps to the rescue?

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

How long will you be staying in White Plains?

Anything longer than a year and I would +1 the TT (or similar) solution. You still have a month and you have a good amount of savings in the bank. Hire someone with a truck to move/park it. Fix it up and make it nice. Once you are done you can sell the TT again for more than you bought it for.

As far as the awkwardness of that goes, I can't really speak to this, being somewhat oblivious to my own effects, but true friends will think what you're doing is awesome.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@cmonkey:

I will be staying in White Plains for at least 3 years. The TT sounds like a really cool idea that could save me tens of thousands.

The question is where do I park one though? I can't seem to find many campgrounds a few miles from 10604.

Should I make a post on CL asking for someone's lawn? Or a parking spot? I wonder if this is even legal lol

-------------

I did find this discouraging quote:

"Most cities do not allow full time motor home or travel trailer living on property located within city limits. In fact, many do not even allow people to park their vacant rigs beside their homes!"

https://axleaddict.com/rvs/Can-I-Live-I ... y-Property

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

My brain hurts with all this pros n' cons analysis ._.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Olaz wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 pm
The question is where do I park one though? I can't seem to find many campgrounds a few miles from 10604.
How hard have you tried?

The blog have several posts on how to go about it. Also explained in the FAQ.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

@jacob: not very, just tried looking up some campgrounds near White Plains on Google Maps. Closest one seems to be 70 mi away : )

Care to help please?

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Hahaha! That's awesome!

This must be a fun way to motivate ourselves. Find a really cheap place that is already <= our SWR.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

You'd be looking for mobile home parks.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

IMO something like living in an RV is to try once established in the job. Your financial upside at work is dramatically higher than the dollars you can save on housing. Start from a position of strength.

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox »

Okay, I'm leaning to sticking to a room share 2-3 mi from work for now and biking. Rv-ing or Van living can come later if it does.

I agree that the majority of my savings will come from upside at the job, and vehicle living has the potential to jeopardize that stream.

rfgh

Post by rfgh »

The trailer parks I've found are for mobile homes not travel trailers.

TheRedHare

Post by TheRedHare »

I can imagine finding a place within the 500 mark would be really difficult, especially in your area.
I somehow managed to rent a house and then sublease all the rooms out, thus making my rent $50 a month. Of course, everything is on me when it comes to bills and such. Idk if you might be able to find a deal like that, but it's worth a shot.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

This might be something to try: http://needwant.com/p/rented-apartments ... nb-profit/

Basically this guy just gets an apartment bigger than what he needs and rents out the other room through Airbnb.