Having a flatmate

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
il-besa

Post by il-besa »

Hi there,

I found that having a flatmate works great for me.

First, I don't like to live alone (as I'm single) and I like to arrive home and have someone to deal with.

Second, I can cover 50% of my mortgage renting out a room here in Amsterdam (NL) which is a real financial help.
I would definitely say that renting out part of you house has a great financial impact, but you've to be open minded enough to don't get bothered :)
Ciao

D

gratonman

Post by gratonman »

@il-besa, Housing costs are normally the biggest number in a budget so sharing is the quickest and most straight forward to slash your cost although not without trade-offs. Renting from someone else until you meet your perfect mate makes sense because that way you can move in with them because they probably like their place already plus you won't have 2 houses full of furniture to deal with. In the early 2000's I was renting a small room/kithenette/bath in the back of a house with a separate entrance in Silicon Valley. I was paying $500-ish a month when people earning half what I earned were paying $2500 a month for so-so one bedroom apartments. That $500 was less than renting a room from most people at the time. Shopping for cheap housing in good neighborhoods is one of the best investments you can make. When something really good comes on the market on Craiglist it is often gone within one day. I would check the listings at work ( sorry boss ) and if it seemed right would call and go right after work to check it out. I would argue being the flatmate who is renting from is the best side of the coin.

starshard0

Post by starshard0 »

I would love to have a roommate/housemate/flatmate or roommates but I don't think my wife is really cool with it.
It would definitely cut down on housing costs.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I've always had roommates. I enjoy the company more than the drawbacks. They taught me many frugal tips over the years.