Living at work to save money

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
fizban

Living at work to save money

Post by fizban »

Hey everybody,
I've been a long-time lurker here, but this is my first post. As some basic information I'm fairly frugal, but more on the MMM side than alot here. I generally have a 50-60% savings rate (after taxes). I have a few reasonably expensive hobbies that I'd like to keep, but I really feel like money spent on housing is wasted money due to how little time I spend there.

I'm currently spending about $400/mo including utilities while sharing an apartment. I'll be moving out end of March. I was lining up to buy a duplex that would allow me to live extremely cheaply, but that looks to have fallen through. Living costs could be as low as $300/mo renting a room off of craigslist up to $550 for a cheap 1-Bedroom apartment (costs including utilities).

I run my own small business (w/ several employees) from a rented warehouse. Has a standard Half bath. My landlord leaves me pretty much alone. I have a very small camper that is currently outside. It does leak a little water currently. It could be brought inside and set out of the way for me to live in or left outside and fixed or covered w/ roof.

I do live in a temperature climate (ave. high about 40F). Costs would be minimal for living at the warehouse (maybe $600/year). There is some chance I could get in trouble w/ landlord or fire marshall or otherwise, but I'm hoping to keep it a bit hidden or low-key.

Any thoughts?

mfi

Re: Living at work to save money

Post by mfi »

Commit for a trial period at the end of your current lease. If you like it, you'll make it work and get to FI much faster. If you don't like it, you can always go back to your current arrangement and will not second guess yourself going forward.

OTCW

Post by OTCW »

Does the warehouse have a fire protection (sprinkler) system? I'd probably lean towards leaving the camper outside in either case. Like the above post says, see if you like it.

fizban

Post by fizban »

No sprinkler system in the work. I'd see where a fire in the camper could be bad, as my insurance may not cover any damage caused by it. Hopefully if it was outside it wouldn't actually burn down the warehouse if it did go up. I'm looking at some 5th wheels, but not sure if I want to go that big really.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

I totally would do it if I had the option.Who cares about the landlord? Just lie if they ask you about it.

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

Make a nook in the warehouse sans camper. Use YMCA for showers.

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

The only thing I would say is living and working in the same place can bring it's own problems. I work from home but force myself to go out every day otherwise I'd go bananas. I guess it depends on the nature of your work.

James_0011

Post by James_0011 »

ducknalddon wrote:The only thing I would say is living and working in the same place can bring it's own problems. I work from home but force myself to go out every day otherwise I'd go bananas. I guess it depends on the nature of your work.
what do you do if you don't mind me asking?

ducknalddon

Post by ducknalddon »

James_0011 wrote:
ducknalddon wrote:The only thing I would say is living and working in the same place can bring it's own problems. I work from home but force myself to go out every day otherwise I'd go bananas. I guess it depends on the nature of your work.
what do you do if you don't mind me asking?
I run a small software business.