Interesting Blog

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
EdithKeeler

Interesting Blog

Post by EdithKeeler »

Found this interesting blog when I was looking for DIY van conversions. Couple converted a Sprinter van and traveled all over South America and California for about 4 years, then had a kid and upgraded to an RV. Still traveling, apparently.

Original blog is Sprinter Life, http://sprinterlife.com/our-home

and current blog is Nomadly in Love. http://nomadlyinlove.com/

Haven't explored them thoroughly, but enough to know they look really interesting.

Also been looking at Cheap RV Living, with tips from a guy who's lived in his van for years. http://www.cheaprvliving.com/

Yeah, I'm having a bad case of wanderlust just now.

Freedom_2018

Re: Interesting Blog

Post by Freedom_2018 »

Thanks. Looks like they have an interesting life.

I also remember buying Ego's book a couple of years ago about their 3 yrs in a van around the world...that was pretty cool too. I used to be such a travel blog reader in my cubicle days.

For me travel is much more fulfilling with a partner with a similar interest. Also really helps being able to be together 24x7 without too much acrimony. I probably would still travel/ live a nomadic life if I were single but would subconsciously be looking for someone to share it with.

This is our third year of being nomadic and I am very grateful to this blog for saving me from 30 years of indentured servitude in Corporate America. I am now living in a manner that is much more congruent with who I am. Sometimes I have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming.

I have formal degrees from prestigious institutions and considered myself a reasonably intelligent person but after encountering the ERE blog some years ago, I had a huge DUH! moment, in that I couldn't believe how simple and obvious the math behind ERE was and how come it had never occurred to me.

However I then realized that even if it had, I likely would never have the courage of my convictions to follow through. Knowing that the author was walking his talk is what finally decided it for me - what one man can do another can do. Especially when I was earning much more than him and had always been a saver (not so much out of intention but because the things I enjoyed needed lots of free time and not so much money).

I did go to a couple of meetups to make sure he was for real and not just an internet character - trust but verify :)

We did have a blog of our travels and experiences but stopped posting after a few months when I realized it was just making some friends and colleagues envious and resentful. Also it was too much of a time sink...I'd rather revel in the experience than try to share it with the world. On the other hand, I have benefitted a lot from other peoples blogs. Maybe someday I will blog again if I have something meaningful to say.