Choosing a state of residence

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
sky

Choosing a state of residence

Post by sky »

bryan

Re: Choosing a state of residence

Post by bryan »

if you prefer moving pictures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNOHKTmoM4s

SD, TX, NV, and FL are the obvious choices if you are getting into a full-time vandweller/RVer. SD is the easiest (stay in a hotel the night before going to the DMV, congrats, you are now a resident and never have to come back*). Also consider you don't have to get insurance in your state of domicile like the video/blog post is talking about (in fact your insurance may get angry with you if you claim to be in a low risk/cost location but in fact you have been spending a lot of time in a high risk/cost area, when it comes time to making claims; of course I am not a lawyer and imagine if insurance ever wants to sue you...)...

* actually you sign a contract that you will come back at some point in the future.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

I just found out OK is good from a tax perspective also, as they don't tax retirement income at any age. So this means if you're doing the Roth pipeline, none of your conversions will be taxed. I have a family member moving there soon, so I may use that as my residence while I'm overseas.

C40

Post by C40 »

bryan wrote: * actually you sign a contract that you will come back at some point in the future.
Yep, that's an affadavit that basically says: "I don't have any stable permanent home. Once I'm done traveling around I expect I'll probably get a home in South Dakota". It's not a promise or a contract or anything, just a "yeah, sure, I could do that", and it doesn't say that you can't simply decide later that you're no longer going (back) to live in SD.

C40

Post by C40 »

To add, I got my vehicle registered in South Dakota. I got service with a mail forwarding company, and an employee of that company acted as my agent in getting title and registration. It was really easy: just fill out the forms, write a check, and send it all to the lady. A week or two later, my plates came in the mail.

bryan

Post by bryan »

> "I don't have any stable permanent home. Once I'm done traveling around I expect I'll probably get a home in South Dakota"

emphasis added. pretty sure that's not how it's worded! :lol:

but yeah, I think it is probably just an affidavit and you are probably right that you can change your mind later.

I'm not sure.. I was just planning on having a go at living in western SD at some point..

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

pro mode: choose country of residence