Forever-a-Renter?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Did

Re: Forever-a-Renter?

Post by Did »

@sclass i guess there are different levels of shit hitting the fan. i meant more personally, rather than at a societal level. Things turn to shit for most people at some stage in their life: mental health, physical health, jobs, returns etc. Not having to make rent and having somewhere safe to go is reassuring. When I was a young man, before I thought of any of this FIRE stuff, I used to say if you own your house all you need is baked beans money. My mate says surfboard wax instead of beans. And it's pretty much true.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE »

@Did: it's certainly true that such a "safety net" is nice, but what about the opportunity cost? if instead of buying the house a human saved the money (even in a checking account), they would still have years of rent until they'd have to worry again.

now if buying a house is the only/best way for an individual human to commit to a savings/investment strategy, then that's one thing. brute believes this to be true historically. even a generation ago, most humans probably had no idea about investing or stocks. if humans wanted to save for retirement, a house it was. but that's different now, and for many more mobile humans today, the "house strategy" brings some disadvantages.

Did

Post by Did »

@brute yeah I guess opportunity cost is something to consider. My tenants pay me A$550 a week rent. We live in a place that cost us about A$100k including modest renos. My mother in law is staying with us. Too early for a retirement village but frankly couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery, let alone moving from rental to rental.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

@jacob

What cap rate are you using for NAV?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The long term rate + 1% risk (+ 1% maintenance unless you subtract the dollars amount in the numerator depending on how your equation looks).

JL13

Post by JL13 »

10-year Treasury real rate or 30-year nominal rate? I think the former produces NAV approaching infinity.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Nominal, dude! :P