Private man-made island

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
GandK

Private man-made island

Post by GandK »

This is... I'm just... @$#^&*...

Monaco Yacht Show 2015: Forget the boat, here's the island you can sail

My thoughts:

1. Introvert paradise!
2. @$#^&*...
3. This is the opposite of eco-friendly.
4. I wonder what a marina full of these would look like.
5. @$#^&*...
6. Is this what happens when billionaires jump on the "Tiny House" bandwagon?
7. Could this in any way be tweaked to deal with population problems? Or sea level problems? Or ugly suburbia problems?
8. In a hurricane this thing would do... what, exactly?
9. I want one. Seriously.
10. @$#^&*...

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Private man-made island

Post by jacob »

In answer to (7), it features a shark feeding station. In other news, sharks have been shown to be less effective than selfie sticks, so sharks are apparently not the most effective solution.

Seriously though, "seasteading" (google your evening away) is a thing. It's mainly popular with people who lived in the 1970s, libertarians, gazillionaires, and corporations who want to avoid dealing with the H-1 hassle of geo-arbing techies for their server farms (not looking at anyone in particular here *cough*).

The problems with this approach are manifold. Anything you put in salt-water decays/corrodes very fast requiring constant supplies from shore. The oceans are mostly desert and devoid of life (ironically the "blue water" of the tropics which looks so attractive to us is essentially lifeless whereas the murky water of colder waters is teeming). Basically living off of the water without a shore-base (because "the rent is too damn high") is a rather hard life. Marinas wouldn't be big enough to hold these [platforms], but you could anchor out. In a hurricane this thing would likely ... blow over and sink.

More realistic solutions include old ferries, cargo ships, and yachts. You'd have to install your own shark feeding station though.

This, of course, is mandatory for any evil genius.

A few hundred k will buy you a transporter or a trawler. A few million will buy you some crazy awesome vessels
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Cu ... uth-Africa

And then, there's this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand

Hmmm ... in a sudden flash of introspection, I wonder ... how come I know all this?! :-P

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Looks like a method to keep oil-rig builders in business when times are slow.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Eh. It's just a CGI mockup. Buy a real island, they aren't that expensive.

Or, ERE style, go camp on an island, and then take it thru adverse possession, if you really want to pay the property taxes...

Chad

Post by Chad »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

It's trendy among the well-off to re-purpose abandoned missile silos into high-end survival bunkers. Maybe in a few decades, the same will happen with abandoned oil rigs.

At least it's better looking than those creepy google barges.