Walkscore

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
BPA

Re: Walkscore

Post by BPA »

My house is worth about $230k and houses like mine can be rented for $1400/month. There are very few apartments for rent.

Like Jennypenny, the walkscore doesn't really mean much to me since I can walk to almost anything I need including work for both my brother and me. I don't own a car and have managed just fine here for over ten years.

DSKla

Post by DSKla »

Moving to a new apartment soon. It's a 75. In truth, the grocery stores aren't very close, but I usually shop after work before busing home.

SallyJo

Post by SallyJo »

My place has a 99 walkscore, 100 ridescore (public transit), and a 63 bikescore.
Last edited by SallyJo on Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

polaran

Post by polaran »

Mine comes in at 14, which was lower than I expected. I live in a compact college town, and basically anything within city limits is accessible by bike. The house I live in is located on the opposite end from most of the stores, hence the low walk score. The upshot is that it's also located on the opposite end of town from the frat houses. There's one overpriced grocery store within convenient walking distance, and the rest are 3-4 miles away. I mostly drive to access the trail system outside of town and to commute to the cities where I work on the side.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Walkscore of 73 ... living in the near-burbs of Chicago. I think one can rent an apartment around here for $700/month... alternatively buy a condo for $60k. You can find a fixer-upper house for $100k and then you'd pay $4k in RE taxes instead to pay for past budget excess.

We are one block away from a commercial street which has a two taco restaurants, a bakery, an icecreamery, two supermarkets, dentist, doctor, lawyer, funeral home, American Legion, one bar, a plumber, an electrician, two banks, a Walgreens, a 7/11, a pizzeria, and a few specialty/fashion clothes shops. The library is two miles away as is the post office and the subway system. There's a train station and a hospital about a mile away. The cheapest source of food within 5 miles is almost 3 miles away though! Walmart is 1.5 miles away. Biking into the city from here is moderately suicidal with high speed underpass bottlenecks and no practical way around them. However, local biking is okay.

Ego

Post by Ego »

I just ran it and got 91. It was 89 a few weeks ago. Our studio apartment @360sf would rent for $1300/mo. I just rented a 250sf micro-studio to a guy for $1250/mo.

We have a cross-town buffered bike lane running up our street. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Ralph's, a produce market and a farmers market are all within 1.5 miles but we mostly shop at the Asian and Middle-eastern markets which we drive to. The main branch of the public library is a short bike ride away. There are a ton of restaurants, bakeries, bars and cafes in the neighborhood and we have a sushi restaurant connected to our building. Apparently people come from all over the West Coast to go to our sushi place. Our building is adjacent to a 1200 acre city-park that houses the zoo and most of the museums, a few theater and some great running and biking trails. We go for an afternoon walk almost every day. I bicycle 4.6 miles to the YMCA most days with a massive hill as part of the return trip. The bayfront embarcadero park and cruise ship terminal is exactly 1 mile down to the bay and the beach is a short ferry ride from there.

We consider ourselves extremely fortunate to have this place.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

6. Oddly no points given for the massive forest preserve that backs up to my townhouse.

We did no car for about a year here, groceries through the internet. It was isolating. Plenty of shopping within 5 miles, but requires biking on over passes or underpasses, just not worth it.

rfgh

Post by rfgh »

93. But I won't worry too much about walk score in retirement since I buy everything online like a civilized person.

JL13

Post by JL13 »

Walkscore is 28.

Hospital 1.7 miles
Large University 1.1
Library 1.5
Supermarket 1.5
Cheap international grocery 3.9
Major city park 2.1
Rail station 2.4
Trendy neighborhood bars and shops 1.0 miles
City center (pop 500k) ~ 4 miles

Area condo rent/cost - $1,100/$140,000. Roads are very conducive to biking if you take the neighborhood roads, and there are many off-road paved bicycle trails that take you to key areas.

Even more interesting, i'm about one mile away from walkscore 88 addresses.

chicago81

Post by chicago81 »

96 in downtown Chicago. but the grocery store figures are misleading, since most of the "really close" options are all high priced "convenience" stores or liquor stores. I can get to a reasonably good supermarket about 3/4 of a mile away though.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

12, I guess living in a rural village in England with one shop, a pub and a café was bound to be low. No car but there are a couple of bigger towns 5 and 8 miles away.

OxtheTank

Post by OxtheTank »

86 walk/86 public. Downtown Dallas.
I split a massive 2br apartment for $800/mo Internet included (other utilities add about $75 each).

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

Our walkscore before our recent move was 98. Now it's 28. Currently, we think we live much closer to what we actually need. We have outlet stores, DIY stores, and the library much closer than before.
I'm not certain walkscore has much merit for frugal/ERE/MMM kind of people really. Too much of the score depends on luxury spending IMO.

johnbroker

Post by johnbroker »

I wasn't expecting less. I guess that in midsized eu cities it must be difficult to score below that.

halfmoon

Post by halfmoon »

Scott 2 wrote:6. Oddly no points given for the massive forest preserve that backs up to my townhouse.
I'm guessing that the walkscore has less to do with "can take relaxing walks" than "can obtain life-sustaining supplies without a rifle or a fishing pole." ;)

I just looked up our score for fun, and (no surprise) it's zero. The nearest store of any kind is a 15-minute drive under the best circumstances, and riding a bike on the narrow roads would be dangerous even if I could make the uphill trip back (no way). DH and I recognize that this will someday be a problem.