How to live in a tent?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
TopHatFox

How to live in a tent?

Post by TopHatFox »

I was thinking it could be a fun and lucrative experiment to live in a tent throughout the summer. I'm wondering how I'd cook food, store food, wash stuff, and where I could park my tent.

My guess is pay for someone's lawn, cook using a gas stove, cook mainly dried or preserved fooss (e.g. Grains, beans, nuts, dried fruit, pickled/fermented veggies, and intermittent fresh stuff), wash dishes using a dish pan and stored water, and cleaning cloths by making a DIY washing machine + using an outdoor drying rack.

I have a older friend who might just be willing to let me try this on their lawn.

Thoughts?

Ego

Re: How to live in a tent?

Post by Ego »

Zalo wrote: My guess is pay for someone's lawn...
This may work for you...
http://www.workaway.info/894762586961-en.html

or this farm
http://www.workaway.info/694356442394-en.html

Both are free with meals included in exchange for working on their properties.

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

If you're sleeping in someone's yard, are you also using their bathroom?

Living in a tent isn't that hard. I suggest a tarp beneath the tent, a rain-proof fly, rain-proofing your clothes/back-pack, and a good thermarest/sleeping bag pad. Don't skimp on stuff that goes between you and the ground.

If you're cooking on a camp stove, you're also going to want an umbrella.

In case you haven't noticed, the key to living in a tent is to KEEP STUFF DRY.

WillS

Post by WillS »

I guerrilla camped for a couple summers when I was a whitewater raft guide. About half the time I just slept in my truck (stealthy, or just lazy) but I camped a lot also. The rule for camping in the forests is you have to move at least every two weeks. In western states that's not hard to do. Especially if you work several rivers. It was lots of fun. A lot of times I was camping with friends or co-workers, right on the river. Shower at the Y, or bathe in the stream. Coin laundry. Coleman stove. I didn't bother with an ice chest. If I wanted something fresh I just went to store; used it up before it went bad. It's totally doable. I can't imagine trying to bum a spot on somebody's lawn though. That would be weird. Free rent is never free; you'll find that out. Too much awkwardness, like 'lending' money to a 'friend'. Camping out for a while can give you a new perspective on 'how much is enough'. Highly recommend it, if you can do it independently.

mmiys

Post by mmiys »

Your question reminded me of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFBj9qBLQo