Free Land

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Wild West homesteading might be a thing of the past, but it seems there are a few towns looking to entice new residents:
http://curbly.com/diy-maven/posts/9261- ... nd-is-free

Melissa

Post by Melissa »

I looked at this a few years ago & of course free is always a great price. There were just a few problems (for me at least):

1. The square foot requirements in some of the towns, I want a nice small home, not 1000-1500 sqft.

2. All of there were small city lots. I would like at least a few acres.

3. In most cases the home must be completed within 1 year of the lot being given, not the construction start date.

4. Nearly all had minimum residency time. I don't want to be told how long I have to live somewhere. Chance are I'm not going to move soon, but who knows what oportunity might pop up in the future.

5. I LOVE Florida, not sure I want to leave :)

On the plus side in some towns (at least a few years ago when I last looked) would give additional construction credits if you were bringing children with you. Their goal was to recoup the credits with additional state funding for the school district.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I haven't looked closely at the residency requirements, but would they exclude a "snowbird" lifestyle? If not, then your #4 & #5 are resolved.
1000 sq ft is a reasonable compromise for free land, I think. If I have to live in a location that isn't amenable to going outdoors, then I don't want to go stir-crazy in the equivalent of a cubicle!

AlexOliver

Post by AlexOliver »

With size requirements, couldnt you just build a big house, rent it out, and build a smaller house out back?

Mr. Overlord

Post by Mr. Overlord »

@Melissa - Where do you live in Florida? Just interested because Florida is on my short list of places to live.