Documentary on Netflix - Tiny: A Story About Living Small

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
blackbird

Documentary on Netflix - Tiny: A Story About Living Small

Post by blackbird »

For those of you who haven't seen this yet, Netflix has added the movie "Tiny: A Story About Living Small". It follows (and is filmed by) a couple building their own tiny home and interviews several other tiny / trailor home owners. A fair amount of the discussion is relevant to the forum here.

They also have a website if you'd like to learn more before investing the hour in the actual film:

http://tiny-themovie.com/about-the-film/

USAF Sgt

Re: Documentary on Netflix - Tiny: A Story About Living Smal

Post by USAF Sgt »

I've been into those tiny houses for years, and while my wife has always like really small houses, she's been resistant to the "tumbleweed" variety. We watched this documentary together last night, and she fell in love. We're planning on building our own now, and just about all of today has been spent researching and planning.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The documentary is inspiring, but digging into what happens after the film, the tiny house seems less appealing. It is now vacant in someone's backyard. Dude lives in CA in an apartment, girl in New York.

Maybe living in a tiny house isn't actually so fun.

USAF Sgt

Post by USAF Sgt »

Thats an interesting discovery, but I don't think it s a great reflection on living in a tiny home. The sample size is too small. There are plenty of people who do live in those tiny homes full time, and have been doing so for as long as they've been marketed. Dee Williams (who was in the documentary) has become a bit of a celebrity when it comes to the tiny homes and has been featured in blogs, documentaries, and volunteer build seminars for quite some time now.

All of this also ignores the magnitudes of people who live in travel trailers, RVs, and even sailboats that aren't much bigger than these tiny homes. They may not have the same novelty factor, but they exist as habitable homes for countless families who genuinely love their home. Just across the "street" from me an RV park with maybe six or seven married couples living in travel trailers than can't be much larger than 120 square feet.

Anyhow...I wouldn't take the end result of one young couple as a reflection of the quality of life that can be had in a tiny home.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The house the couple in the documentary built did not have running water and used a composting toilet, which sounds like a bucket with a plastic bag in it.

I think at the very least, those two problems need to be fixed, to be sustainable long term.

I noticed in the Netflix comments, that a lot of people suggested the should have just lived in an RV. If someone is just looking to save money and reduce their environmental footprint, I'd tend to agree.

I ran across a figure of $26,000 to build the tiny house in the documentary, ignoring the time cost of labor. I'd guess that buys a fairly nice RV. The investment is also much more liquid, because RVs are established and well understood.

I also found that one of the guys featured, who runs a company that offers tiny house kits, now lives in a house that is 500 square feet. This seems to be at the insistence of his wife. Still a very small place, but much larger than 120 square feet.

Having lived in a 200 square foot studio apartment, both by myself and then with my now wife for 3 months, putting two people in such a small space really changes the dynamic. Alone it was easy, lots of fun when she'd visit. As a couple 24/7, it could be rough. I'd do it again if I had no other option, but I'd be willing to work pretty hard to create another option.

I do think if both parties are truly excited about the experience of building and living in the tiny house, they could make it work. I'd want an exit strategy though. I'd probably look for a way to try it before committing all the effort. Rent a cabin for a few months or something.

workathome

Post by workathome »

The look is appealing, though logically the RV route seems to make a lot more sense.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

http://tiny-themovie.com/and-house-now- ... ars-later/

I assume this is the update you guys are referring to? Even reading between the lines, I didn't get the impression that the couple had actually broken up or that living in the tiny house had anything to do with it. It sounds like they both moved for work. Doesn't seem uncommon for flexible young people and doesn't seem like a comment on the quality of life in a tiny house either.

I do agree that I personally would be hard pressed to do without running water (my girlfriend wouldn't let me anyway), and that an RV is probably more efficient in cost, convenience, and liquidity.

Will have to check out the movie. There are few things I love more than endless philosophical musing. :D

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I thought the documentary was good but like ffj, it seems like it was just made for the movie. All this talk about waste, living small etc. and then they barely even live in the damn thing.

EMJ

Post by EMJ »

Scott 2 wrote: It only seems practical as as means of skill development or entertainment though. The documentary overstates the benefits by ignoring strong alternatives.
I've lived in my tiny house (<120 sq ft) for 3 years - no indoor plumbing or refrigeration, in an area with "real" winters and summers. I love it - simple, close to nature. It has enabled me to do meaningful work, be flexible and take time to help my family. Lest you think its only for young folks I'm a 50ish woman.

For me it's been a great way to live - don't knock it until you know more.

retiredat47

Post by retiredat47 »

I watched it last night too. What's with all of us, anyway?

I want to eventually watch the DVD, if it has a commentary track. That should be interesting.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

I haven't seen this documentary. But one thing that occurred to me recently is that documentaries centered around one protagonist tend to come off as rather narcissistic, regardless of the message.

Spartan_Warrior

We watched it last night. I agree that it was somewhat empty of solid content. Would've liked to hear more about the construction as well as how they actually lived inside it. Some of the most interesting content to me was squeezed in at the end credits (where they talked about their bathroom and how they got some of the materials).

I was a little perturbed by the open cynicism in this thread regarding both the GF's level of commitment to the guy and whether this project was more about making a documentary or making a house. After viewing the film, though, I have to say you cynics are probably on to something. Particularly, it's probably a bad sign when your GF says stuff like, "Seeing Christopher so determined to settle down here makes me think about where I want to settle down"--obviously not there with him. :lol:

blackbird

Post by blackbird »

Honestly guys, you make it hard sometimes for me to post :)

The comments here surprise me a little. I posted this link to bring it to the attention of anyone who was interested. I don't think there was an explicit claim that it was a positive story about a couple's commitment to one another in an ERE type lifestyle. In fact, from what I remember about it, they are actually very up front about the limits of their relationship and her desire to love in New York. And it seemed clear to me that the movie itself was as much meant as a vehicle for her writing career as anything (again, I don't think this is hidden).

The point here is that:

1. It is a documentary about topics related to this site (namely, reduced footprint, minimalism, etc) that is on Netflix. That is a large potential audience. Thus, people who may have no concept that a life outside of 2000+sq ft homes and 9 to 5 jobs is possible now have a chance to see another possibility. Even if only for a moment, it helps broaden people's perspectives who otherwise might not have taken the time to look into any of this.

2. Despite its flaws, the movie DOES give a fair look into the tiny home movement. Several of the people interviewed are open about both the pros and cons, and discuss their personal feelings and struggles and motives. This is something many might find value in (myself included).

3. Focusing the comments in this thread on the personal integrity of the filmmakers vis-a-vis their dedication to living in said tiny homes maybe misses an opportunity to use this as a point of discussion with less stringent adherents to militant ERE. You guys are better at saving, reducing, planning than 99.9% of the rest of us. Got it. Respect it. But that doesn't mean there aren't hundreds of lurkers here who can't take something short of 100% ERE adoption away from this movie, or things like it.

4. And finally, the comment about solo protagonist / narcissism is an interesting observation, but it's it that surprising? We are each in our own story, don't wee all want to be the good guy in that story, the central mover? After all, what are the journals on this forum if not our independent joseph Campbell inspired hero stories?

I appreciate the discussions you guys have started but I really felt like some of that should be pointed out. Sometimes it is easy to feel like an outsider here after posting and I just want everyone to remember plenty of us who aren't as far along still find value in this stuff. Thanks guys.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

blackbird wrote:Honestly guys, you make it hard sometimes for me to post :)

I appreciate the discussions you guys have started but I really felt like some of that should be pointed out. Sometimes it is easy to feel like an outsider here after posting and I just want everyone to remember plenty of us who aren't as far along still find value in this stuff.
This is a valid point. I don't think [most of] the comments in threads like this are intended as a criticism of the OP, but given the nature of a forum, they come across as such. I was glad that you posted the link and I watched the documentary. I had similar criticisms of the people involved, but I still felt it was worth watching. I thought they did a good job of showing how hard it is to build one of those suckers.

I worry that people are afraid to post because the 'regulars' won't agree with them. I hope that's not the case. First, the disagreements make for some of the most interesting discussions I've read/had on the internet. Second, I don't think the critical comments should be taken as a criticism of the post itself. The type of people drawn to ERE tend to be the kind to dissect everything. Look at the book club threads. Most reviewers (myself included) start with "I loved the book" but then write several paragraphs itemizing everything they didn't like about it. Some of the best discussions were about the books I liked the least.

People who aren't as far along in the journey should post more, not less. It's the best way to learn from people who are farther along. There will certainly be negative comments, but on the whole, you'll get thoughtful responses. The first few months (years?) after I started posting, I got my ass handed to me. Some of it was tough to take, but I'm so glad I stuck with it. I think it's similar to jacob's comment that regular journal posters seem to hit the ERE-crossover point faster. By regularly posting and opening themselves up to comments, they get the help they need to get where they are going faster.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

blackbird, thanks for posting about the documentary and starting this whole thread :D

Spartan_Warrior

Yeah, sorry if I came on too strong. Like Jenny, I thought the movie was interesting and I definitely appreciate having it brought to my attention. It's very relevant to ERE--there were many comments regarding life/work balance that made me nod in agreement. That doesn't change that I think the film could've used some more meat on its bones. Probably the ERE-relevant commentary and stuff (what FFJ calls the "endless philosophical musing" :D) is old hat to a lot of us here. The stuff that was new to me (construction, day-to-day life in a tiny home) was sort of glossed over.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I'll have to make it a point to watch that tonight. My cabin-hunting has uncovered many domiciles in the sub-600 sq ft category, and I am not sure I could do even those unless I was living somewhere with nearly perfect climate/weather all the time. But maybe I'll get some ideas for good concepts to make more out of the space. My biggest concern is hosting guests in such a small space.

Edit:

I just watched it. Loved this quote: "A tiny house is a house where all the space is well used." I'm still not convinced I could go as small as any of those folks, but I'll have to re-watch it because there were some ideas for arranging I liked.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

I watched the movie last weekend. I enjoyed it. But he could have bought plenty of RV's for less than $26k and saved himself all the headaches.

I see nothing wrong with the idea that they decided to build the home for the sole purpose of earning money from the documentary.

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

Here's a series you might find interesting about a guy living stealth in a van: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClKc5m ... v0GUqeiJ9A

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

thebbqguy wrote:I watched the movie last weekend. I enjoyed it. But he could have bought plenty of RV's for less than $26k and saved himself all the headaches.
This is my biggest issue with the tiny house movement. It seems wasteful to me to build from scratch when there are so many RV's out there.

Tiny house proponents brag about using things like composting toilets, but those items will never offset the consumption from new construction. Rehabbing smaller existing homes seems much more environmentally friendly to me. Plus, any house designed to rely on a vehicle, even if it's only occasionally, indirectly supports an oil-based economy.