Off-grid Float Cabin in the PNW

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
jennypenny

Off-grid Float Cabin in the PNW

Post by jennypenny »

JohnnyH

Re: Off-grid Float Cabin in the PNW

Post by JohnnyH »

They salvaged the materials, it used to be a logging company's helicopter landing pad... Salvaging that is cheaper than building a foundation. But to buy/transport those giant cedar logs would be a fortune. I doubt that governments are letting new ones be built... Sooo, existing very feasible. New, not really feasible.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

The about section says that they lease the water lot for $500 a year from the Canadian government. I think it is pretty feasible. The area is not a federally protected area (parks, refuge etc.). According to the article, float cabins have been there, for loggers and fishermen, for quite a while. The government has started regulating the lots over the past 20 years or so.

They also have a blog and books. http://powellriverbooks.blogspot.com.es/

chenda

Post by chenda »

I love this idea of living on water, but I can't help thinking it would be much cheaper to live on the lake shore.

How common is it to live on barges in the US, cruising inland waterways ?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

@chenda - In NorCal there's the Oakland estuary for houseboats and the Delta for derelict under-the-radar hulls. Berkeley Marina also has a line of houseboats.

All things depending, water slips aren't that expensive to rent or buy compared to dirt ditto, half price for the water?

Ego

Post by Ego »

I've got a friend who bought several navy surplus barges and built houses on top. He parked them in the free-anchorage here in the bay and rented them out. They were fabulous little houses. The port district has since eliminated the free-anchorages from all but the center of the bay making the living a little rocky but still possible. And free.

JamesR

Post by JamesR »

Funny enough I saw pictures of that exact floating house before. Seems pretty fantastic, my only concern would be paths nearby to go hiking. I'd probably try to get in the habit of swimming in the water every day, even with the cold. That would get the metabolism revved up!

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

All the comforts of a cabin, without the ability to improve your lot, and missing the property taxes.

I've lived off grid, and in a zombie apocalypse, there's nothing better. but i like the comforts and internet that comes from being on grid.

in this case, you forgo a septic system and well, and weeds, and property taxes, for increased maintenance, limited space, and drawing water from the expanded septic system of those nearby.

still, better than tumbleweed boondocking...

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

While this is cool, why not just buy an acre and build an off grid cabin on it. I'd love to do it, but I also like my high speed internet.

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi guys,

I saw this article a few months ago from 2012.

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/real-e ... 1vg0h.html

Seems these ideas are universal