Living in a car — crazy stupid or crazy good idea?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Laura Ingalls

Re: Living in a car — crazy stupid or crazy good idea?

Post by Laura Ingalls »

So OP what is your plan?

Tomorrow is the first.

TylerOSU

Post by TylerOSU »

ive researched this a ton.

better option is sub $200/rent space or work trade and use bicycle. gas/upkeep/crampness/mold/parking/moving/theft/saftey all too much headache imo.

pretire

Post by pretire »

Entertaining read. Especially love how two people found out they work together.

To me, living out of a car is a bit backwards. Its turning something meant for transportation into something meant for living. Its paying for transportation and living for free. Far better, I would think, is paying for housing then traveling for free.

You could sell the car and rent a small room with shared living spaces. I would think there are enough extra benefits that living in an apt/house would have (safety, heat, bring a girl over, making friendships with roommates/neighbors) in turn would be more valuable than the continuing costs (gas, repairs, potential for burglary or worse) of car. Eventually you may even find a girl you like enough to live with, share costs and a vehicle.

I guess my thing is why make so much effort to make it work with the car? Seems much less of a hassle to replace transportation than housing. And I just really dislike cars. :)

henrik

Post by henrik »

@pretire - great username!
It's strange how you consider heat for an apt/house to be a benefit and gas for a car a cost:)

pretire

Post by pretire »

@cimorene12 - good reading your update. It definitely seems some cities offer better advantages for reaching ERE.

@henrik - thank you. And I think its much more energy efficient keeping a house heated for 8 hours of sleep versus keeping a car running for 8 hours of sleep. :)

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

Here's a nice video that might give you some ideas: http://youtu.be/C9Hht0nqkT0

thebbqguy

Post by thebbqguy »

Here's a series that Emily King has on You Tube that might show the possibilities: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCypgXj ... KiHla0SGVA

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

pretire wrote:Entertaining read. Especially love how two people found out they work together.

To me, living out of a car is a bit backwards. Its turning something meant for transportation into something meant for living. Its paying for transportation and living for free. Far better, I would think, is paying for housing then traveling for free.

You could sell the car and rent a small room with shared living spaces. I would think there are enough extra benefits that living in an apt/house would have (safety, heat, bring a girl over, making friendships with roommates/neighbors) in turn would be more valuable than the continuing costs (gas, repairs, potential for burglary or worse) of car. Eventually you may even find a girl you like enough to live with, share costs and a vehicle.

I guess my thing is why make so much effort to make it work with the car? Seems much less of a hassle to replace transportation than housing. And I just really dislike cars. :)
Couldn't have said it better myself. You can even rent a room in someones house, utilities included for $400 a month. From what I've read, most people spend more than that on gas and food living in a car.

Again, ERE or ER are great, but quality of life before and after are important too. I'd rather work longer than live in a car.