Should I install new replacement windows?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
altoid

Should I install new replacement windows?

Post by altoid »

So I have recently thought about getting new replacement windows for my condo, which is consisted of one small kitchen window, one big bedroom window, and one glass sliding door.

The current windows came with the condo, and have been there since 1989. Currently half panel of the bedroom window is broken, which can cost $200 to just fix the glass only. I am inclined to go this route, as the kitchen window and glass sliding door are still working. The problem with the old windows are: they are single pane(except dual pane for bedroom), it does not do a good job blocking noise, and insulate. We live next a freeway, so the noise has been kinda troubling, I tried a few times sleeping in the living room, but the noise can be pretty bad. We also have about 4 months of heating, and 1 month of AC, newer windows might cut down the energy cost as well.

I came across with a deal offered by COSTCO, for Milgard Tuscany windows with life time warranty for $2657 with installation included. There is also a 10% tax credit ($200 max)this year for energy efficient windows. It doesn't seem like a bad deal to get it all replaced at once either.
Meanwhile, to replace something is still working, seems a little excessive to me. It will take me more than 30 years to recoup my cash outlay purely from energy savings.

I am also not sure if new windows increase home value. Should I look at this as a way of investment or a pure expense? Can I charge my future tenant extra for newer windows?

Ego

Re: Should I install new replacement windows?

Post by Ego »

A red flag pops up in my mind whenever I hear homeowners use resale value or, in your case, future rental value as justification for an expensive upgrades that they wouldn't do for themselves. I am not saying it is not actually going to increase rent/value. I think it rarely increases more than the cost of the initial outlay.

That said, are there other ways that you might achieve the goal of noise reduction and heat/cold loss?

http://www.sfgate.com/homeandgarden/art ... 230463.php
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwywKd5FLs

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

You can charge your future tenants for whatever you want, but the market will only allow you to charge so much.

The windows themselves don't offer a huge upgrade in energy savings, it's the insulating you do around them before putting the news ones in. In your case, I would repair the broken glass for sure. I'd upgrade the windows if you want to. I did my entire house because most of the windows had moisture between the panes and I could not see outside. It was worth it to me to upgrade. Did it increase the value? The tax man thinks so, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a 1-1 return on what I spent.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

check with your HOA. they will have rules about window replacement.

A few things to know about windows. even the best are very heat conductive. and their ratings are something between a wish and a sales pitch. a U .25 window is the same rating as an R-4 wall. the difference being the wall is measured based on heat transference, and the window gets to estimate heat transference under specific circumstances (temp differential and light intensity and direction.)

that being said, i replaced my single pane aluminum windows last year, with double pane vinyl. i certainly noticed a change. in so doing, i was able to make sure everything was sealed up right, and i think the draft stopping is at least half the difference. read up on window sealing before the install, and be sure your installer knows what you expect, in detail.

in the construction world, window installation can be very lucrative, or pay $13/hr. you get what you pay for... at best.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

oh, and thick, doubled up thermal curtains are another way to deal with the heat transfer, once the windows are sealed.

altoid

Post by altoid »

What I have been doing for the broken window, was to put 3 insulation foams from inside. That blocked out the whole window, so the noise is reduced. I have to take them off on weekends, to get some fresh air coming in.

The old windows have been in for 24 years, so I am not sure how much longer it can last. The cost of changing the bedroom window only, into a vinyl, is a bit over $400, v.s. $200 for putting in new glass for half panel. However it will look kinda strange to only change one window, right ?

I am also concerned that this is a not very good neighborhood. The other three units in my building all have their old windows. Among the 86 units in this complex, I would say about 10 units changed their windows.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I grew up in an old farm/house from 1889 which had single pane windows when we bought it. The solution was to put in magnetic tape on the window frame, cut out a piece of acrylic the same size as the frame and put magnetic tape on that as well. This "extra pane" could then be removed easily depending on season. Eventually, AFAIR 15+ years later, my parents did do a thorough renovation in which all the windows were changed, leaks sealed to modern standards, etc. It made a huge difference in heating costs.

I just offer this as an alternative solution.

On a general note (I didn't do the numbers), I try never to replace anything that's working.
PS: As a renter, I would not be moved (in price) by being told that the unit had new windows.

lilacorchid

Post by lilacorchid »

If you are looking at resale, you never want to be the best house on the block. If I were renting, I might be swayed a little by new windows if I had to pay for my own heat. But it's not in my top ten or anything.

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

I've been thinking about the same thing in my house. The 50 year old windows are fine, but they leak air.

Storm windows help a bunch, but they are all falling apart this year. Single digits hit last week, so I've been putting plastic over the windows. It makes a huge difference with air infiltration. This solution is pennies on the dollar compared to new windows.

I like the idea of insulated shutters. I may have to look into that more.

workathome

Post by workathome »

My windows also suck. I don't think the resale value will increase enough to offset the costs of windows. My plan is to keep the heat low move within 24 months.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

back when we first got this place, and had higher priorities than windows, we'd use painter's masking tape and syran wrap, to get the second seal. and you could see it bulge when the wind blew. it cut down on the drafts, and since we get the syran wrap from costco, it cost far more in tape than plastic. maybe $4/year. it also helps with maintaining the "white trash" appearance for burglar resistance.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

On the quote for replacement windows, make sure it includes replacing the interior trim. Often times, the quotes that everyone compares do not. This is one of the ways the various contractors can create extra profit for themselves since most people only compare based on the advertised quotes that don't include trim replacement.

altoid

Post by altoid »

So today I ran into some further problems with this project. Since the new windows are vinyl and the old ones are annodized aluminum, in the eyes of HOA, this is a structural change, and we need get approval from HOA before proceeding, together with the consent of 3 neighbors. All the 3 units are rentals, and one owner I know, moved to east coast a few months ago.

They are just not making it easier !

SimpleLife

Post by SimpleLife »

altoid wrote:So today I ran into some further problems with this project. Since the new windows are vinyl and the old ones are annodized aluminum, in the eyes of HOA, this is a structural change, and we need get approval from HOA before proceeding, together with the consent of 3 neighbors. All the 3 units are rentals, and one owner I know, moved to east coast a few months ago.

They are just not making it easier !
Yep. There's another guy on the board who is about to find out the pain of dealing with an HOA if he decides to try to rent his condo out.

Soooo glad I never bought anything with an HOA. And for the record, my vote is for you to NOT install the windows. Unless your windows actually break, don't replace them. You will likely move from here long before you recoup even 10% of that money while staying there. It's not going to add a ton of value to the value from a resale perspective either. Kitchen and bath would be what you should remodel for that. But I digress. Most homeowners will move every 7 years or so, you'll not be around long enough to really save any money via the windows. Don't do it.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

If you've got the tools, the handy skills, the time, and your HOA allows it, you can also try installing the windows yourself. I replaced 3 windows this summer using vinyl block replacement windows, similar to the ones in the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0HODrbpBG4

It's not that hard since these are made to fit into an existing window jam, just needs a little elbow grease and time :)

GregorioBennett

Post by GregorioBennett »

New construction windows are used when a brand new home or a new addition to a home is being built. Since home are exposed the window can be installed directly on to the frame. It means your architect or contractor can be very creative in the sizing and shape of your windows. As you can look here some new construction window for a remodel project which is possible but is a more involved process for your contractor to ensure the exact match of exterior materials. Alternatively, replacement windows are an excellent option for a quick home improvement project when there are budget or time constraints. This saves time and labour costs with all the benefits of new windows.