Living in a tent long-term

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
JohnnyH

Re: Living in a tent long-term

Post by JohnnyH »

I like it... However, I think the wall tent would turn into a drafty, sodden drag after month(s) of rain/snow and freeze/thaw. It will likely lose a good portion of its resale. I agree with Bigato, build something -only [purchased] materials are expensive and the cost/labor might not be worth it for such a temporary home... Purchasing land might be smart, but it might be very hard to sell once you are done with it.

I think a travel trailer is your best option. I'd recommend a 74-89 Avion, which is like an Airstream only much, much better built. It has 2 inches of rigid foam insulation the whole way around... You can find ones in need of work for <$2-5k. Spend a month fixing it and it will be worth closer to $8-15k. Pleasant living, easily moved, in high demand for resale. I'm fixing one now and my costs should return at least 300% (not including labor) if/when I sell it.

"There Kropp became known for ridiculous feats of strength; He’d wake at three in the morning and march in full gear (another 150 pounds on his back) for 60 kilometers."
... This enormous man will devour us all!

Only 35, what a shame.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Thanks, JohnnyH for the tips. That sounds like an attractive option but I've decided to go a different route.
I go in more depth on my journal (linked above) but I'll be seeking employment with a wilderness therapy company in Utah where employment is 8 days on 6 off. On the 6 off I'm planning to just travel to the nearby national parks and forests and just spend my days in there in a lightweight backpacking tent. No need to purchase any land, only gas from the company to the National Parks/forests. Very low expenses and plenty of adventure!

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I happened to stumble across this story of someone who actually did this.

http://www.alaskawintercabin.com/tent_in_tok.html

In 1978, this family of four wasn't able to build their cabin before winter hit and ended up living in a wall tent (in Alaska) for 13 months. They went through 120 cords of wood that winter. Sounds like quite the experience!

henrik

Post by henrik »

That was a great story, thanks. A lot else interesting to read on that site, too:)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

A woman and her dogs (and husband?) living in a wall tent off the grid in the Yukon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-5DZ9XSiH0

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

read Thoreau's 'Walden'

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

This is a great film about surfers building a cabin north of the arctic circle using only found materials: http://vimeo.com/ondemand/northofthesun The trailer makes it look like more of a surf movie than it is, parts are about building the cabin and living off grid as well.

I'm hesitating to recommend this since it is $4.99. I saw it at the local Banff festival. Sorry if you don't like it.

Description from website: Inge Wegge (25) and Jørn Ranum (22) spent nine months of cold, Norwegian winter in the isolated and uninhabited bay of a remote, arctic island by the coast of Northern-Norway, facing nothing but the vast Atlantic Ocean. There they built a cabin out of driftwood and other cast-off materials that washed up on shore, and ate expired food the stores would otherwise have thrown away. But the boys brought with them two items of utmost importance: Their surfboards - perhaps their biggest motivation for the arctic adventure. Because the remote bay holds a well kept secret; Some of the worlds finest surfing waves.

Hankaroundtheworld

Post by Hankaroundtheworld »

In Africa I have seen many Luxury Tents that would be livable more permanently (normally a bathroom section is added with more stones/tiles), especially if outside the climate is comfortable, then you mainly live outside, and use the Tent inside during evening/night. I think it is a great idea, and the Tents that I have seen, look very strong and could last easily 10+ years.

sky

Post by sky »

SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

My girlfriend and I have spent the last two summers living in tents in our friend's back bush.

I set up a pretty sweet camp there complete with a deck to stay dry, compost toilet and solar shower.

Check it out here. http://www.mypermaculture.net/?p=93

WYOGO

Post by WYOGO »

I have considered this in conjunction with an RV (truck + Poptop). I desire to be mobile, so am seriously considering a pop top to use on a pick-up for travel as opposed to a full truck camper. I would still use my tent and backpacking gear when attempting to reach alpine enviornments, camp above treeline ect., and generally away from the truck. I would be bored living in a tent fixed in the middle of nowhere personally.