Tumbleweed Tiny House workshops in NJ and DC

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

ebast

Re: Tumbleweed Tiny House workshops in NJ and DC

Post by ebast »

I went to one of Jay's workshops in NYC a few years back (back in the days when I would drop $300 for an interesting weekend). In retrospect, I think I did not maximize my money's worth on that one, partly because I came to it as a total greenhorn, not having much construction experience or having ever seriously spec'ed out a tiny house. I think if I had, I would have had a better idea of what to pay attention to and what questions to ask. It looks like it is still the case now, but at least back then when I went, there was no hands-on component-- it was a lecture format with slide shows and discussion while everybody took notes. You got to see pictures of a lot of examples and crawl through one which gave me a better feel for what life in one might be like. Still, there was a notable difference between the engagement and discussion of folks in the audience who were building or had built tiny homes and I think they probably got more out of that format. A friend who went as well admitted he probably didn't get $300-worth out of it, but at least it went to a cause he believed in.

I probably would have got a lot more out of some sort of hands-on building workshop - I don't know if, like barn raisings, people do Tiny House-raisings, but it'd be great if you could trade some labor for practical hands-on learning on-site.

workathome

Post by workathome »

Workshops and socializing are nice, but isn't the same info free on the internet?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Different people learn differently. Some people need the interaction of a seminar to make the neural connections function, particularly if they would feel weird about doing something on their own.