what is your home / apartment / van like?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Ryannis

Re: what is your home / apartment / van like?

Post by Ryannis »

Sold my home a few months back, it was 1098 sqft 2 bed 1 1/2 bath for 1 person. Not fond of the the upkeep and didn't need all that space. Wasn't there much anyways. Current situation is living with bf in a 2500+sqft on near 6 acres just outside of our city. He won't allow me to pay for any housing as he was already paying for it (his words) before I got here, now he just get's Netflix free off me, lol. I don't argue with rich old fart. :lol: This allows me to save about 90% of my small income, I buy our food, my gas, and little else. (Before I get haters.. just know this is mutually compatible and he still thinks he's gotten the better end of the deal ;) ).

My goal for now, which bf knows, is to buy either some land to go off grid or buy older home in cash, for later in life. In the mean time, I do own a paid for motorhome that is my 'house' should current situation not work out. It's 246.5 sqft of fully self contained awesomeness. Worse case, I park it at an extended full hookups rv park (plenty around here reasonably priced) and live simply.

I do see how much time and upkeep a house this large takes, add in expense for utilities, time for yard maintenance and the like, so much work. Ultimately, for ER, will want something much smaller, paid for, hopefully off grid or working towards that, or become nomadic in the rv with no property taxes and someone always takes care of the lawn and chase the better weather. :) who knows. The old fart is coming round on my way of thinking, as well.

Tom Young

Re: what is your home / apartment / van like?

Post by Tom Young »

Villa (individual home in our retirement community)

http://www.libertyvillageofperu.com/villa.htm

1550 sf, 2BR, 2BA, 2car garage... all senior/handicap options. More pics on the LibertyVillage site.
Totally comfortable and convenient... plus access to next step on CCRC if and when needed.

Our onetime van... 1972 VW Westphalia... Loved it!!! Name was Victoria Von Volkswagen
Our camp on the lake in IL (in winter)
Our Florida Mobile home

All for a lot less than you'd imagine... Never even came close to being a millionaire. :lol: