How about living under a bridge?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
Night Runner

Post by Night Runner »

No expenses! Outdoors! ERE! Discuss. :)

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

This is actually often proposed as a knee-jerk reaction to ERE as in "Save that much?! ... I might as well live under a a bridge" or "Sure I could retire right now if I just lived under a bridge" :-)
Culturally though, I'm an indoor person. That's a big one [for me]. I also use as much stuff as the next person. I just don't throw it away after using it and buy new stuff or store extras in my garage. Superficially speaking, I have more in common with middle class professionals than people living under bridges.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

Living under a bridge is a form of being homeless. That conjectures a sense of failure. A bridge, on the other hand, is no more than a shelter from some elements of weather. You could apply the same to living in a cave. The bridge is also open to other people so security would be none. Police would be patrolling a setting in which folks could get under the bridge, so you would soon have arrests or a simple "move along now". In some cities, there are drainage tunnels, etc, that police know house people. I would think they just don't go around them unless there is a reported crime they must investigate.

Popular now of days are the "Bush/Obama Tent cities". Akin to the Hoovervilles of the depression.

I am thinking all ERE people strive for a level of success that includes the all important security. Home is what you make it, but you need to have a starting place, even if it's a tent, trailer, cabin, whatever. Probably not a bridge.

In this day and time, even taking a road trip is not as safe as it once was. I am very careful about even where I stop for gas, meals, and motel. For example, I would keep driving if my day ended at East St Louis. I would surely keep driving.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I think most of us are trying to live within the "system", not outside of it. That way we are not hassled by authorities.

rachels

Post by rachels »

For one, watch out for flash floods. My boyfriend was almost washed away sleeping under a local bridge long ago. I've known a few people who voluntarily live outdoors (ie~not in a car). Personally, I think that unless you roll with a group of other homeless folks or camp in remote places, that you are likely to be the repeated target of theft or worse. I would sleep far better in a vehicle unless I was in a rural environment.

Q

Post by Q »

Better off camping in a national forest - free, and you can have your gear or what have you

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

or boundary waters?