Full time RV-ing as a snowbird?

All the different ways of solving the shelter problem. To be static or mobile? Roots, legs, or wheels?
jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Re: Full time RV-ing as a snowbird?

Post by jacob »

We had our 34' class A (Ford 460 V8 engine, accessible from the top via a hatch between the front seats) in for repair a couple of times. It was a process. Only the RV mechanic would take it and usually they were booked up so we had to make an appointment several days ahead. So we'd pack it up, ready it, and make it drivable and drive it over (2miles from the park) to the shop. We'd then walk back and put a tent up in the park and wait there until evening. Then repeat the process in reverse.

Also there was the time we had to drive the damn thing downtown for an emissions test :x

Allagash

Post by Allagash »

I think I've read a 25" class c can fit on a lot of the mechanic bays and lifts. Similar engines to Ford F-350's/Chevy 3500 pickups I would think?

Anza Borrego desert state park area east of SD is nice in winter. Been there tent camping when used to live in SD. Pretty spot. I believe many FT RV-ers boondock there in winter and near Joshua Tree and Desert Hot Springs. Sunny skies and 70 degrees would sure beat 37 degrees dark and gloomy (for months and months on end!) in the PNW. There are some wildlife refuges along the Colorado River south of Lake Havasu I have heard of people staying free too. Near Blythe CA too on LTVA.

Allagash

Post by Allagash »

Still thinking of possibly full time RV-ing when my lease is up. I like the idea overall of being mobile and chasing good weather, and would probably do it. But I hate the giant PITA of shopping for a used RV, doing all the due diligence to buy it right, and having to invest a lot of money in a depreciating asset that is a repair/maintenance nightmare and that can be difficult to sell (especially in recessions) and difficult to park and store (if you can''t sell it and move to an apartment).

And I don't really want to live in a old van that I have customized. DIY projects like this (like C40 did) are not my strength, not very interesting in learning what I would need to learn to customize a van, I have no tools, and I don't have a place to work on it (even if I was interested in a DIY van build) since I live in an apartment now.

So bottom line, still unsure I want to dump money into an RV rig. Like the mobility & chasing weather, but really hate the idea of buying and maintaining a house on wheels.

Also to do this cheap like an ERE you have to boondock. And from my limited experience sleeping in my car boondocking is harder that it looks. Free spots in national forests or BLM are in middle of nowhere, or you have to stealth it in urban areas (which I have little interest in doing).

bryan

Post by bryan »

Why wouldn't you want to "stealth" in urban areas? I did it for two years straight and had no issues.

ERE (or more apt, hobo) van dwelling is very cheap and easy. You don't have to make a big production out of building and customizing the van if you don't want to, especially if you are chasing the weather anyway. Most of the vans I've seen on Bob et al channels could be built in a weekend without any tools, and during the interview with the dweller it's a common sentiment that they wish they had started sooner. You will save so much money by living in a used van, you could take the first two months of living costs saved and have everything you need, in an easily kludged together but maybe not social media worthy way. My van was basically a hobo den for two years.. bottles of urine on the sliding door steps waiting to be emptied and everything. My avatar is two of the (about) five basic needs of a van dweller.

susswein

Post by susswein »

One thing to consider is that as a young single guy full time RVing is going to put a huge dent in your social life. I alternate between a house in utah in the summer and a sailboat in mexico in the winter, and it's basically impossible to find a woman interested in dating someone with this kind of lifestyle. Even finding good guy friends is difficult when you're gone half the year, not to mention that most snowbirds you'll be interacting with will be couples in their 60's and 70's.

Just another factor to consider.

Allagash

Post by Allagash »

susswein wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm
One thing to consider is that as a young single guy full time RVing is going to put a huge dent in your social life. I alternate between a house in utah in the summer and a sailboat in mexico in the winter, and it's basically impossible to find a woman interested in dating someone with this kind of lifestyle. Even finding good guy friends is difficult when you're gone half the year, not to mention that most snowbirds you'll be interacting with will be couples in their 60's and 70's.

Just another factor to consider.
I agree. I've cooled greatly on the RV snowbird idea and looking at staying in one area most of the year with a winter vacation. Also the drifting life is very lonely single. I realized I'm too much of a hermit as it is, I don;t need any more of that. What I need more of is a better social circle, roots in one place, getting involved in things, etc...i.e. things that are more easily built in one place.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »